BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called BMW roadside assistance to come pick my car up for the stalling problem I have been having. I requested a flatbed and the rep told me that they only tow BMWs with flatbeds and not with a lift. So I said cool.

About an hour later the tow guy shows up with a flatbed BUT he had another e46 on there! (Nice rims to whoever had their car towed as well) So I asked him "that car couldn't possibly be my loaner" and he told me no. So i asked him how he was gonna put 2 cars on the flat bed and he gave me this look of confusion. "I am gonna put it on a lift" he said. I was like....um...ok but I requested a flatbed. So he assured me that everything was gonna be ok (by the way the dealership was 20 miles away) . First off his lift thing was frozen so he could not get the extenders out. Secondly when he lifted my car the rear practically bottomed out. I called BMW back to bi</>tch at them and they were like "we did request a flatbed" when I told then what was going on they were like "well thats ok as long as they have a dolly for the rear wheels." I said "nope" and they were like "what?!!! Don't let him take your car!" too late. He was already about 2 miles away by this time. So quickly I had the tow company return my car. The guy was confused and probably pissed off. BMW called me back and apologized and offered to have another flatbed come out. The first tow guy all of a sudden was like "yo, did you just call for me to come out again?" I was like wtf? BMW had called the same tow company who in turn called the same guy to come pick my car up in the same flatbed as before. I refused and had BMW call another company (which they did without any hesitation, kudos to them) I drove my car around the garage and noticed that my alignment was off not to mention that there were scratches under my front bumper from where the lift was forced underneath. Havent checked the back yet, too afraid to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
damn that sucks bro.. i don't understand why tow truck operators don't know the proper way to tow cars. If it is your job, u'd think they be a little bit better educated on the yays and nays of towing..

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. As a lesson to all. DON'T LET THE TOW COMPANY TAKE YOUR CAR UNLESS ITS ON A FLATBED. Don't let the driver tell u otherwise.

·
life is a *****..........
1,295 Posts
yea i got mine towed...miss aligned my bumper.... i just kicked my bumper and pushed on one side, got it to line up pretty good

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the other tow company came and got my car. The driver was like "what happened with the first guy" and I told him what happened. It was funny, the guy just shook his head and said "bro, that ain't right" well i saw that there was deep scratches on the right bumper and a small one on the left. the alighment was still off.

·
Loves cookies
1,879 Posts
Man you should of told him to take the first bimmer to its destination and then come back and get yours. I would never ever let my car get towed unless it was a flatbed, i dont care if the tow man has a PHD and a Masters in towing and tells me that its O.K. if the owners manual saids flatbed only then its flatbed or no tow, i'm sure that tow driver knew that but he was probably thinking about gettin paid and thats it. FUK! what the hell happen to customer service! Sorry man, hope someone picks up the bill on your damages.

·
Banned
713 Posts
well

From what I know, you can't because of the running gear, you will strip your differential even if the car is in Neutral and the E brake is off, even as far back as all E36's you can't get the car towed unless on a flatbed, remember this when parking and NEVER park illegally unless you have to, you could end up with a lot of damage and be **** out of luck, careful guys...

lates
Cavan

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: well

teamsycracing said:
From what I know, you can't because of the running gear, you will strip your differential even if the car is in Neutral and the E brake is off, even as far back as all E36's you can't get the car towed unless on a flatbed, remember this when parking and NEVER park illegally unless you have to, you could end up with a lot of damage and be **** out of luck, careful guys...

lates
Cavan
I do not have a clue, but...
That just does not sound right.

So in my 5 speed. I am flying down the highway and 90 mph and put it in neutral and just let it coast till it stops. You say that is damaging my car in some way?
Does not compute in my head. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
10chi said:
wats the difference? in towing I mean
I had my car towed for a couples of miles but had no problems.
I question if Manual cars could be damaged by this??

for future reference.........:dunno:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah guys, only let them flatbed your cars. My car was towed from campus and they used a dolly and broke into my car and out my car in neutral while they towed it.:banghead: :ben: :ben: I was so pissed when I found out that my car was gone and when I picked it up, all of my brake lights were on. Took it to the dealership and they said our cars have speed sensors at every wheel and when 2 wheels are moving and not the other two, the car has a hard time calculating speed.:banghead:

·
Banned
713 Posts
yeah

I thought it was weird also, somone will explain it, call the dealer though, you will strip your differential. The difference in the freeway has to do something with the fact that the car is on, under power, I dont' know, I will just sound retarded, someone explain this who isn't me :)

lates
Cavan

·
Registered
573 Posts
This is a really common but shady practice with tow operators, so watch out.

They'll be driving along with a car on the truck and they'll see another one broken down. They'll most likely stop to offer a tow. Why not, all the money from the second guy is pure profit since the guy was going that way anyways... plus most people don't know and they're happy that they get their car towed faster. Same thing for when he was on call. The guy was supposed to go drop the car off, but he got a call, figured he was in the area and decided to make some more money while he was at it.

Bottom line, don't let the guy tow your car. If you booked a hotel room for $200 and the hotel asked you to share the same room with another guy, would you still pay the $200? Hell no! Same applies here, you or BMW is paying the full price of the tow, get your money's worth!

·
Registered
409 Posts
dude BMW roadside people, or the people they call are the dumbest morons on earth. once i got a flat and couldnt get my wheel off, so i called them. Tow truck guy comes, and stars slamming my wheel with a metal club. needless to say it came off, but it bent the **** out of my rim. did bmw pay for it"? NO! i could have done that for christ sakes, i called them because i figured theyd know how to remove it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts