E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
24,345 Posts
it doesn’t do anything for radio, so bettter off plugging it up. if the base hasn’t deteriorated make sure it’s water tight as it can leak there. the shark fin is basically useless for todays tech and also does nothing for radio antenna. it also just sticks on so not worth it unless using to cover the hole. but it will sit further up on roof than factory design where it’s at roof back where the cable runs down the channel.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
24,345 Posts
if this is about a Touring/wagon you posted in wrong forum. they have their own subforum. my bee stinger answer was in regards to coupe/sedans.

Reactions: tbouchard991

·
Registered
2005 325xi T
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay. i'll delete the antenna. but won't simply plug. i'll put either a 1/4" tripod mount there, or an IP65 rated power plug for a flexible photovoltaic. thanks for all the input and advice.

·
Registered
2000 323iT, 2000 323Cic
717 Posts
okay. i'll delete the antenna. but won't simply plug. i'll put either a 1/4" tripod mount there, or an IP65 rated power plug for a flexible photovoltaic. thanks for all the input and advice.
You'd probably be the worlds first touring owner with a (1/4" tripod mount there, or P65 rated power plug for a flexible photovoltaic) instead of a plug, or antenna lol.

·
Registered
2005 325xi T
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that isn't true. there have always been temporary antenna mounted camera mounts. this is the one i see most often: https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Camera-Cooper-2001-2019-Adjustable/dp/B01LZ5ILUS.

thing is, i would rarely use a camera mount, and i already have a roofrack crossbar camera mount. the antenna location is very nicely located for a camera though. you'd get some nice shots, particularly with a 360 camera.

PV charger for battery seems like something we could all use often to trickle charge the main car battery. so leaning toward electrical plug rather than camera mount.

·
Registered
2000 323iT, 2000 323Cic
717 Posts
that isn't true. there have always been temporary antenna mounted camera mounts. this is the one i see most often: https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Camera-Cooper-2001-2019-Adjustable/dp/B01LZ5ILUS.

thing is, i would rarely use a camera mount, and i already have a roofrack crossbar camera mount. the antenna location is very nicely located for a camera though. you'd get some nice shots, particularly with a 360 camera.

PV charger for battery seems like something we could all use often to trickle charge the main car battery. so leaning toward electrical plug rather than camera mount.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
2005 325xi T
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a flush 1/4 inch female tripod mount would be way more versatile than the gopro mount. if you use a gopro, just screw in an adapter. you could even screw in an eyelet for days when you need an additional lashing point for roof cargo. so won't be buying the readymade product mentioned above.

the dorman plug you are using may be rigid enough to support an action camera, as long as the height of the extension is kept short. you might consider melting in a threaded sleeve.

·
Registered
2000 323iT, 2000 323Cic
717 Posts
a flush 1/4 inch female tripod mount would be way more versatile than the gopro mount. if you use a gopro, just screw in an adapter. you could even screw in an eyelet for days when you need an additional lashing point for roof cargo. so won't be buying the readymade product mentioned above.

the dorman plug you are using may be rigid enough to support an action camera, as long as the height of the extension is kept short. you might consider melting in a threaded sleeve.
I don't think I'd ever mount a gopro from where the antenna is located ngl, or something that screws in the factory antenna base. (I have 2 go-pro's as-well). Such an awkward angle. I wouldn't trust my gopro there as-well either. Each to there own, if you want to do that, be my guest. I adore the slicktop look.

I deleted my antenna completely because the gasket failed, and the antenna served no purpose. So i put the dorman plug, and I have been content since.

·
Registered
2005 325xi T
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
your point is already proven by title of this thread. just soft automated carwash brushes tore off a 2.5" stubby flexible antenna. you risk losing your camera, if you drive hard. i own several outdated cameras i don't care about for those occasions.

i already ordered the dorman plug, because i'll be melting a small hole in the center to push my electrical connector through. thank you for sourcing that part.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,131 Posts
You those cash washes are the absolute WORST thing for your car’s finish, right?

·
Registered
2005 325xi T
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my car is already world weary from rock peltings and nuclear sunburn. spinning soapy brushes aren't going to add significant damage. my car looks better dirty because that camouflages all the paint flaws. i do park under trees for shade though, so need to wash often to remove bird guano and tree sap.

·
Registered
2000 323iT, 2000 323Cic
717 Posts
your point is already proven by title of this thread. just soft automated carwash brushes tore off a 2.5" stubby flexible antenna. you risk losing your camera, if you drive hard. i own several outdated cameras i don't care about for those occasions.

i already ordered the dorman plug, because i'll be melting a small hole in the center to push my electrical connector through. thank you for sourcing that part.
Well that was your first mistake! :rolleyes: (never go into those automated car washes with brushes, you can say goodbye to your paint). Touch-less Car Washes are okay though.

The plug is a great alternative tbh, its cheap and gets the job done.

Also running any wire to get to the antenna is an absolute nightmare.

·
Registered
2005 325xi T
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not a mistake. a calculated risk. you overestimate condition of my car. california used cars are good for nonrusting, but sun damage is tremendous.

wire runs from antenna to dashboard area is a nightmare. to the trunk only a mild bad dream.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For what it’s worth, when ours broke it was only the removable antenna portion, the base portion was still in acceptable condition and not leaking.
Rather than mess with removing the headliner, plugging the hole, etc, I just got a cheap stubby antenna on eBay and was able to just screw it on with minimal fabrication.
I know it serves no function, but whatever, this was a cheap simple solution and looks fine, ours is no show car, it’s a driver.
Here‘s the antenna I bought,
installed pic:
Water Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,131 Posts
For what it’s worth, when ours broke it was only the removable antenna portion, the base portion was still in acceptable condition and not leaking.
Rather than mess with removing the headliner, plugging the hole, etc, I just got a cheap stubby antenna on eBay and was able to just screw it on with minimal fabrication.
I know it serves no function, but whatever, this was a cheap simple solution and looks fine, ours is no show car, it’s a driver.
Here‘s the antenna I bought,
installed pic:
View attachment 961713
I like it. I did something similar with mine. When mine broke there was a little thin barbed plastic piece sticking up. I found a rubber vacuum cap that fit over it snugly. I still didn't quite like it so I found another rubber vacuum cap to fit over IT. That's what you see here. Yours is a little nicer than mine though. My gasket is starting to deteriorate. When it gets a little worse, I may try the plug route. I've found a couple of plastic plugs on McMaster-Carr that should work and be snug with a rubber gasket under it, but I'll wait. As long as it's not leaking, I don't want to disturb it.
Tire Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

1 - 20 of 43 Posts