BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently discovered that the rear window spoiler on my 2001 touring hits the rear edge of the roof when I fully open the rear glass. The spoiler does not hit the roof when the full rear hatch is opened. The interference only occurs when just the glass is opened. Can someone with a touring check their car to see if this is a normal condition?

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment that can be made to prevent the glass from opening this far? Or perhaps there is some sort of stop pad that is worn and in need of replacement?

The paint on the spoiler is starting to rub off and I'd like to prevent the damage from getting any worse. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I will add photos to this post in the morning after the sun comes up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is the clearance with the full door open...about 5mm

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1411395508.414125.jpg

This is with the spoiler with just the glass open. The spoiler hits the roof

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1411395609.807356.jpg

Can anyone verify if there is an adjustment to prevent this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would any other touring owners be willing to take a look at your car and let me know if you have the same issue? Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I do not have a touring, but I seriously doubt that anybody has a car where body panels collide, with the exception of those with a 'vert, where the cover of the storage compartment for the rooif and the trunk lid have an interlock that prevents one from opening if the other is also open.

It looks like you have something that's bent, allowing the parts to run up against one another.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
The door pivots on one hinge and the window pivots on another. My completely uneducated guess is that the window hinge needs you to look at it.

When the door is opened, the window goes with it and it held in place by being closed and latched to the door. But when the window is opened separately, then it has a different set of hinges that is pivots around. These hinges need you to look at them. If my guess is accurate, you should have a gap or something at the bottom of the glass, where the glass closes against the door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, here is the solution:

After removing the plastic trim I was able to see that both the glass and the hatch use the same hinges. The difference in the opening clearance was caused by the hatch shocks. The hatch shocks were improperly limiting the travel a small amount which was preventing the spoiler from hitting the roof. The rear window uses a set of springs to hold the window open. The springs do not limit the hinges travel, and as such the spoiler was hitting the roof.

My issue was caused by the absence of the "stop buffers" part number 51 24 7 032 000. The function of these parts is to provide a soft bump stop when opening both the hatch and the window and to limit the full travel of the hinges. I didn't know these parts existed before disassembling the trim. The only part left of my stop buffers was the self adhesive tape used to secure the buffers to the hinges.

I chose not to replace the buffers with the OEM part. I didn't want to wait for the special order shipping time. I also questioned the durability of the part because the foam types self adhesive tape used to secure the buffer to the hinge failed on my car.

Instead I decided to fabricate new buffers out of a piece of heater hose that I had laying around my shop. I cut the hose in half and used weatherstrip adhesive to glue the chunk of hose to the hinge. I glued the hose to the hinge and left the window open to use the hinge springs as a clamp to hold the hose in place overnight.

The curved shape of the hose perfectly fits the shape of the hinge. The hose rubber is very durable and provides the soft bump of the original part. Most importantly the hose limits the travel of the hinges to prevent the spoiler from hitting the roof.

I think this is a superior solution to the OEM parts. I suggest all touting owners carefully open their rear windows to check the condition of the stop buffers. I suspect that most touring a will have similar issues simply due to the age of e46 vehicles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
OP, thanks for the diagnosis and fix on this issue. I haven't noticed the problem on my wagon, but I now know to keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
la02, could you post some pictures of your solution? I'm having the same
Issue but I'm having trouble visualizing your fix. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
la02, could you post some pictures of your solution? I'm having the same
Issue but I'm having trouble visualizing your fix. Thanks!

Unfortunately I didn't have my phone so I don't have any photos and the fix is completely obscured from view by the trim pieces. Sorry!

I suggest opening the rear window and removing the two long black trim pieces closest to the hinges (one on the window and one on the hatch) and also the two small hinge covers. The hinges will be visible then and it's pretty easy to see how they work.

The hinges have their own stops built into their design. But without the stop buffer the hinges are allowed to rotate just a bit too far. I'm confident that you'll be able to see the issue if you remove the trim.

Sorry I can't help more.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,125 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts