E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TWC 2008
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I remember seeing a thread a while back about using a toothpick instead of the touch up paint brush to get rid of rock chips. I still can't seem to find it again. I searched but can't find it anymore. Anyone have that link?

If not can anyone give me some good suggestions to using the dealer touch up paint and clear coat? I've never used this stuff before and would like to hear some good tips before i use it so i don't mess up my paint. Thanks guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
The toothpick scenerio is pretty much correct. Use a toothpick or something very fine to fill in the scratch or chip...go slowly let the paint dry before adding another layer. fill in the defect until the paint is just above the surface of the surrounding paint on the vehicle...so somewhat overfill the defect with paint. use 2000 grit to wetsand the area down to the same height of the surrounding paint...yes you'll sand some of the surrounding area as well. The paint in this area will then be dull...don't freak out you'd have to work for a very long time to actually sand through the surrounding clear coat. Then begin to polish the area with deminishing abvasive polishes (start out fairly agressive and finally get to a fine finishing polish...I'd recommend Poorboys SSR2.5 followed by Poorboys SSR1) This can be done by hand but it's a tedious job...if you know someone with a Porter Cable or other random orbital buffer ask them if you can borrow it for a day. Once the polishing is done apply some sort of protection to the area and you should be good to go.

For better instructions go to www.autopia.org...search for wetsanding or defect repair and you'll probably find a tutorial with pictures and everything.

Andy

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Audi... you always got all the detailing skills down..

BTW I tried #83 and #80 and I was impressed... took many of my swirls away. Much better that Menzerna....

·
Registered
485 Posts
#83 and #80 would be an excellent combo for the post sanding as well...my personal favorites are Poorboys SSR's but the Meguiars products are awesome as well.

·
TWC 2008
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow that's a whole lot of work...if i were to use the toothpick technique and then use the clear coat with the same techinique with no sanding....how crappy do you think that will look? I just wanna fill in some of these large rock chips to hold me over till i repaint again

·
Registered
115 Posts
hp99hp said:
wow that's a whole lot of work...if i were to use the toothpick technique and then use the clear coat with the same techinique with no sanding....how crappy do you think that will look? I just wanna fill in some of these large rock chips to hold me over till i repaint again

good question, my dad had a homeless guy clean the driveway when it snowed (long story) and he decided to be nice and clean the snow off the car to, only problem is he decided to use the shovel. This left many scratches that I need to fix, but I dont like the idea of sanding. I was originally going to use a brush but thoothpick seems intresting.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you don't wish to sand and polish...you can still use the toothpick method of filling up the defect layer by layer until the paint sits about flush with the rest of the paint. it will not be as big of an eyesore as it was in the first place and well anything will look better than a big gapint hole or scratch so there's no harm in simply putting the paint in the defect and going...but if you want it to look damn near perfect the other method is worth all of the work in the long run.

Wetsanding really seems scarry at first...esp after you're done and the whole area's dull that you just sanded (defect and small surrounding area)...that's enough to nearly make your heart stop becuase you fear that you've created a bigger mess than what you started with...but after polishing all of those fears will soon go away.

Maybe pick your wife or GF's car to try it in first...or fellow family member...make them feel special that you're going to do something like this for them even though you're just using their car for practice. I do this with most new products / techniques that I try. I know that worst comes to worst I can go back to my trusted methods to make things right again if something goes wrong.

Andy

·
TWC 2008
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kut_Audi said:
Maybe pick your wife or GF's car to try it in first...or fellow family member...make them feel special that you're going to do something like this for them even though you're just using their car for practice. I do this with most new products / techniques that I try. I know that worst comes to worst I can go back to my trusted methods to make things right again if something goes wrong.

Andy
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

that's awesome haha I gotta try that lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can also find some very fine paint brushes at auto paint suppliers. They are plastic and the tip of them is TINY. They are disposable, kind of expensive too, but for the weekend-fixer up person, they should last you quite some time.

Don't fear very fine grit wetsand paper. You know, you're in southern california where Meguiars HQ is, they have classes quite often. Meguiarsonline.com is the forum. I'd wait to see if one of their classes (many times it is free or a small charge I believe) will cover wet sanding. Plus you may be able to snag some free products out of the deal hahaha (I'm such a mooch) :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
PC to remove wetsanding marks. :hmm: I'd always bump it up to a rotary for them, especially since meguiars polishes almost always contain some type of fillers, whether or not they want to come out and tell you it on the bottle or not, they do.

·
Registered
485 Posts
AccordGoob...you're correct that Rotary is the best bet...but for most the experience level with a rotary isn't up to par...I'd rather spend 4 times as long working something like SSR3, 2.5, then SSR1 to remove the marks then try with a rotary only to then have to spend time with the PC in the same process mentioned above to fix the holograms created by the rotary.

PC will do it...you just have to be prepared to spend some seriour time to get the paint right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts