BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totaled my 2000 328i a few days ago. Insurance will give me around 11k for it and I can add a maximum of 1.5k.

I found this on autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=13000&cardist=56

My questions are:

Will i feel that the 323 is slower and less powerful than my previous 328i prem pckg?

Is the 323 prone to tranny failure? My 328i's tranny failed and i had to deal with it.

What do I need to check when thinking about buying this car? does the price above seem too good to be true?

anything else you want to add..go for it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
He's asking too much $$$ for that car. I bought my 2000 328i in 2005 for $12,700 with 68k miles.

Also, you know the steptronic fails, so don't make that mistake again. Get a manual.

:hi:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's asking too much $$$ for that car. I bought my 2000 328i in 2005 for $12,700 with 68k miles.

Also, you know the steptronic fails, so don't make that mistake again. Get a manual.

:hi:
There are no bimmers around me. This is all i can find and if i dont get this im going to have to settle for a mazda 6 2006 :(

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
the mazda 6 is actually a nice car... don't sell it too short

good handling (maybe it's just me, but I like Mazda suspensions), good power (in the V6), nice interior, and good Japanese reliability (even if the car is now a Ford)

I test drove one back in 03 and was really impressed with the car, so much so that I recommended it to my mom and she bought one new off the lot the next week. She's never had any problems with it and loves the car. When I drive it, even after owning my bimmer, the car still impresses me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i had a mazda6 before my BMW. don't sell it short, very nice car. you have to be very careful buying a high mileage/old BMW, sometimes just isn't worth it compared to a newer car like a mazda6.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
he shouldn't be asking for more than 10k for that, beaware of subframe problems + steptronic failures on the 323/328 series

·
Registered
184 Posts
That does seem to be a bit much for that many miles...

Definitely take a good look at the subframe.

Here are the output stats:

328i- 193 hp @5500 rpm, 206 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm

323i- 170 [email protected] rpm, 181 [email protected] 3500 rpm

325i- 184 [email protected] rpm, 175 [email protected] rpm

330i- 225 [email protected] rpm, 214 [email protected] rpm

We have the torque, but you need to mod the engine to get more HP. I was looking at 330Cis and found my 323 with much fewer miles so I am just going to +intake+Shark Injector+exhaust. It still won't equal the 330Ci, but I will be happy.

If the 323 is your only choice over a Mazda (even though the 6 isn't bad)there should be no question of which to go with unless you are worried about the subframe issue or repair costs.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My only suggestion is take your time when shopping used. Don't jump on what the first thing that isn't quite what you want. Keep looking. Your car will eventually turn up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My only suggestion is take your time when shopping used. Don't jump on what the first thing that isn't quite what you want. Keep looking. Your car will eventually turn up.
+1

It might be worth it to you to have the car shipped from somewhere as you might be able to get a better deal on a car you are sure you want.

·
Registered
698 Posts
:werd:

Click here

4ngie may sell her car later this fall. And there are other fanatics with amazing rides uloading them for not much more than what that person wants for a stock 323i.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The only way to know would be to go and test drive it. As far as the trans goes. it seems to happen to 2000 model year 323's so there is a chance it could happen, and for all you know it may already have and is currently on a replacement tranny.

-Al.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a 2005 mazda6 before my BMW 323i. I loved the car and never had any problems out of it. I drove nice and it was very fun to drive and it attracted a lot of attention. It was glacier silver with a moonroof, spoiler, and I added 18inch chrome wheels. Many people thought that the car cost upward of $30k. But I had a e36 325i before the mazda6. So after driving the mazda for a year and a half it was just time to get back into a BMW. I highly recommend them...they are nice cars and I will be a the dealer to look at the 09 mazda6 when it comes out this summer!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts