BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a torque wrench. Anyone know if Craftsman are good? I know they have some sort of lifetime replacement guarentee. How about S-K tools?

·
name's PHIL
6,087 Posts
i bought the one from tire-rack........looks/feels/does an awsome job.......i buy the sockets however from craftsman:thumbup:

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,152 Posts
I have a Craftsman torque wrench and it's pretty good. However, do not be mislead and think their lifetime replacement warranty applies...because it does not. If you ever have an issue; you'll be forced to send it in for repair and calibration.

Snap-On has a really nice torque wrench that has a pivoting head to make it easier to tighten lugs if you have wide fenders or a low offset. Of course it costs a lot more than most tools but it's worth the investment if you have the $$$. :D

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
Lifetime warranty for Craftsman tools do work, however for the torque wrench, the warranty is only like 90 days or something, it's written on the package. That said, my $90 Craftsman Torque wrench is great! :)

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
If you're gonna do pulleys and oil changes, be sure to look for the right torque wrench. I got one that torques from 25-250 which is too high to torque the pulley bolts and oil drain plug/filter.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,152 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:
If you're gonna do pulleys and oil changes, be sure to look for the right torque wrench. I got one that torques from 25-250 which is too high to torque the pulley bolts and oil drain plug/filter.

Yup.

Also, remember to reset your torque wrench each time you're done using it. Keeping it set on a high settings will damage the calibration.

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i'm getting the 10 to 100 one. Is there any DIY that would ever require more than 100 ft/lbs?

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
PhilH said:
Even though I have one that is 10 to 100, it's not accurate enough to work at 18.5 ft lbs for the oil filter cap. It just doesn't click when set that low.
There is a 10-100lb/s one? Made by craftsman? I never knew that, i'm going to exchange mines then.

On the 25-250lb/s one, it clicked when i had it at 25lbs. It's pretty weird that yours didn't click at 18.5lbs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:

There is a 10-100lb/s one? Made by craftsman? I never knew that, i'm going to exchange mines then.

On the 25-250lb/s one, it clicked when i had it at 25lbs. It's pretty weird that yours didn't click at 18.5lbs.
It's made by Husky and I bought it at Home Depot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the Craftsman 10-75 3/8 inch and it is perfect for most jobs. It can go up to 80 lf/lb. So it is perfiect for oil changes and torqing the wheels back on.

Get a seperate breaker bar to take the wheel lugs and drain plug off.

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
Audioman said:
I have the Craftsman 10-75 3/8 inch and it is perfect for most jobs. It can go up to 80 lf/lb. So it is perfiect for oil changes and torqing the wheels back on.

Get a seperate breaker bar to take the wheel lugs and drain plug off.
I was going to get that one, but our wheels needed to be torqued to 87lb/s.

·
Registered
865 Posts
you could also just borrow one from auto zone whenever you need to use one...free of charge too!

·
Track it
930 Posts
i got mine from autozone for $25 bucks...the company is GREAT WALL....its more of a security item in my car if you catch my drift...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts