E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my winter wheels yesterday and was trying to torque the wheels to the proper specs. For some reason I could not reach the 88 ft lbs recommened by BMW. They will not tighten anymore. I am using a craftsman wrench and the torque will only go to around 75-80 ft lbs.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
nrvus said:
I was installing my winter wheels yesterday and was trying to torque the wheels to the proper specs. For some reason I could not reach the 88 ft lbs recommened by BMW. They will not tighten anymore. I am using a craftsman wrench and the torque will only go to around 75-80 ft lbs.
Suggest you try w/ a different torque wrench, or try resetting yours back down to 0, then up to 88 again.

Torque is sort of a measure of how tight they can get. Its not really possible to reach limit of torque like this. In other words the more pressure you try to add the higher the lb/ft of torque you'd be using to get your torque wrench to 'click'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the wrench that i am using cannot be set or reset. i guess you can say it is a manual one that has a needle that points to the desired torque.

do i need anything else to install the wheels that i purchased from tirerack. They are the sport edition fox 6 with dunlop m3 winter tires. i am using the oem hardware to install? do i need different bolts or spacers for anything?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
nrvus said:
the wrench that i am using cannot be set or reset. i guess you can say it is a manual one that has a needle that points to the desired torque.

do i need anything else to install the wheels that i purchased from tirerack. They are the sport edition fox 6 with dunlop m3 winter tires. i am using the oem hardware to install? do i need different bolts or spacers for anything?
These are a direct bolt on, no other parts needed. I suspect an issue with the torque reading on your wrench. If you can, you should perhaps borrow a torque wrench from someone to verify.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts