E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 with 2.5 needs a new converter...throwing code....." Converter Clutch slip too high/Course not inserted ".
It also leaks and makes noise. I have replaced fluid filter few months ago so I know it good. I installed the transmission/converter without knowing condition. My trans is a ZF-5HP 19.

I'm guessing I need a "ZF" converter and not the GM one??? I'm also going to replace the transmission pump when I have it out.

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulled the automatic transmission out of my son's 2002 325ci. Discovered the triangle flex plate had broke in two sections where it bolts to the flywheel. What would cause this?

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
1,002 Posts
I bought a 2003 wagon RWD ZF tranny with the same thing, also broken TC nose/support to crank. I don t know which happened first. I found a good used tranny at the junkyard.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Not sure if loose hardware, or just metal fatigue is to blame. I haven't seen this on an E46 personally, but have seen flex plates break in the center on other vehicles. As broke completely away from the rest of the flex plate right around the bolts on the crankshaft. One of them was just spinning the outer parts when you engaged the starter and was making an awful sound. The other actually spun and wedged itself back together and still started and drove. The flex was hitting something as it rotated, though, which clued us in to the issue.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,297 Posts
Not sure if loose hardware, or just metal fatigue is to blame. I haven't seen this on an E46 personally, but have seen flex plates break in the center on other vehicles. As broke completely away from the rest of the flex plate right around the bolts on the crankshaft. One of them was just spinning the outer parts when you engaged the starter and was making an awful sound. The other actually spun and wedged itself back together and still started and drove. The flex was hitting something as it rotated, though, which clued us in to the issue.
LOL, I saw that 30 years ago on a Chevy. Funny s#!t.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,297 Posts
Interesting failure and NOT one we've seen before on a BMW. Most usually we see a fracture/stress crack emanating from one of the center mounting bolts. My best guess is that two of the torque converter to flex plate bolts were ever so slightly loose. Over time movement was allowed between the two and a failure ensued?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The transmission was leaking fluid below where the converter is. We purchased a used auto trans and rebuilt it, so we hope all issues will be resolved.

·
Premium Member
10,215 Posts
My best guess is that two of the torque converter to flex plate bolts were ever so slightly loose.
+++1

The pic shows the plate mounting holes were sheared off at the turning direction. This would also kill the torque converter as the plate remaining "arm" pulling the TC off center and placed a big acentric load on the bush bearing. Some lazy mechanic didn't torque the 3 bolts down properly.

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
490 Posts
Check this.

·
Premium Member
10,215 Posts
Torque convertor to flex plate - M10 8.8 45Nm (33 ft-lbs)
Do you know how much clearance of the bolts to the flex plate holes? With no dowel pins between them and only 3 bolts at 33 ft-lbs, I would add Loctite on the bolts threads. The plate has 8 bolts around the center at 88 ft lbs each, and its outer only has 3 bolts with 33 ft lbs each, and the load torque is the same at the crank and the TC, so each of those 3 outer bolts carries a lot of load.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts