E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the situation

Decided on 2 M3's they are both same colour, have good history, 3rd owners. Below are the differences

M3 #1
=====
MY4.5
Interior - tiny wear marks on center console and drivers door armrest, will need to be resprayed or repaired. Not huge issue.
Exterior - is immaculate,
Wheels - 19" M3 wheels
25,000km more

M3 #2
=====
MY4.0
Interior is very very good
Exterior is immaculate minus 2-3 cm scratch on front bumper down to plastic.
Wheels - Genuine CSL wheels
25,000km less km

# 2 ends up being $11,850 more for 25km less and CSL wheels. Is it worth it? I want to keep the M3 for many years.

If I spend 3K? on used set of CSL/Tyres for M3 #1 then I'm still in front by $8,850.

So How much is 25,00km worth

M3 #1 is pretty much done deal as of alst night just pending deposit.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'd have gone for #1. When I was looking for M3s, I noticed that in general $5k = 20,000km difference. e.g comparing a car with 80k vs 100k, I'd expect the 80k car to be at most $5k more. I'm only saying what I noticed, whether or not that's what it's worth...I dunno.

Car #1 gives you more options if you didn't want CSL rims. There's plenty of other nicer rims out there, but CSL rims are very popular.

Also, it depends on mileage. I assume both cars are under 100,000kms?

OP: Didn't you just get your 325ci this year? Want to change cars already?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both cars are under 100,000km and based on my driving, In 3 years car #1 will have aaprox 115,000km and car #2 will have 90,000km

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Not enough information there to answer the question.

What other options do they have.
how many kms have they done ?
when was the last and what was the last service done
what parts have been replaced in service
where have they been serviced
has the subframe been repaired ? is it damaged or is there signs of damage ?
are either at all modified ?
why 3rd owners ?? How long has each owned the car and why are they selling ?
what are the tyres like ?
Are they smg ? whats the changes like, has the pump been replaced ?
Has the clutch been replaced ?
etc ...

You havent mentioned anything mechanical about either car. And with an M3, it is the mechanical stuff you need to worry about, not scratches to the interior ...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Both cars are under 100,000km and based on my driving, In 3 years car #1 will have aaprox 115,000km and car #2 will have 90,000km
That's fine. My car was bought with 84,000 on the clock and now it's just over 100,000 in just over a year. Gah! I want to keep mine for a few more years too. So thinking of getting a second car so I don't rack up the kms too quickly.

What colour did you go for? SMG/manual?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

etc ...

You havent mentioned anything mechanical about either car. And with an M3, it is the mechanical stuff you need to worry about, not scratches to the interior ...
lol true, mechanic faults is what costs you. but i assume the OP hasn't done a PPI yet? i hope you did a PPI before putting down a deposit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
lol true, mechanic faults is what costs you. but i assume the OP hasn't done a PPI yet? i hope you did a PPI before putting down a deposit.
PPI is no where near as good as investigation and common sense.

alot of the stuff on these cars has to be replaced routinely, there is plenty of info out there on maintenance schedules.

If you dont investigate carefully what has been replaced, on a 7-8 yr old car, you could be up for $4 - $8k in the first 12 months of ownership, and thats a very conservative estimate as some think that is normal running costs ...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'd look for the bigger issue when comparing ... e.g. mechanical condition, accident free body work not cosmetics issues such as you mentioned in both cars which can be fixed easily with minimal cost. After a 'long time' of ownership $11K eitherway is not going to matter. You want to look at the car and feel happy you got this instead of the other. If the car is in really good condition, it might even hold value more than the other. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

etc ...

just trying to keep it simple. All things being equal, that is they are both SMG, they both have recently had rotors & brakes, in between services etc and both pass PPI with flying colours.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
There is no simple when it comes to an M3.

which service are they inbetween ?

Have they been serviced every 12 months or only every 25,000 ?
Have they had the Alternator, Battery, Smg pump, radiatior, expansion tank, power steering high pressure hose, pcv valve replaced ? Clutch replaced ? Water pump ? Fuel pump ? Diff ? Guibo ? When was the last valve adjustment ?

You may think that is all trivial or not important, but they are all mid to high expense replacements (except the battery) that commonly need to be replaced at regular intervals. If neither have had any of that replaced, then they are equal, if there is history (which comes down to where they where serviced) of some being replaced, then it paints a better picture of the history and other relative issues that may or may not occur.

I would want to know how long they have owned and why they are selling as you will now be the 4th owner, which seems alot on a car of this age ...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
When I bought my car I was the 3rd owner, 2004 model. 84,000kms on the clock. Since then I've had to replace the battery (like 1 week after I bought the car lol). Apart from that, I had a diff pinion seal leak (but this was found in the PPI) and replaced the rear view mirror (but I knew about this when I test drove the car). The only other problem I've had since then were 2 faulty DSC pressure sensors. I think the radiator and alternator seem to die around the 100,000km mark. So I'm expecting that. In case of the OP, they are well under 100k so he probably doesn't need to worry about them? SMG stuff I didn't need to worry about as mine is manual. My clutch will die soon, so I'm expecting that. It's the original one still. I'd be more worried if the previous owners replaced the clutch well before 100,000km. Could mean the car has been thrashed around.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tough... lots of items being replaced could indicate no expenses spared but could also indicate a problem car?

Does anyone have a link somewhere that shows the mechanical parts that should be replaced at xx,xxxkm or service interval?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Or could mean alot of city driving.

Alternator goes, common fault, mine had been changed at 60k , it has nothing to do with kms, more to do with time and conditions. Radiatior again is not about mileage, its more about time and conditions, some of them last and last, some of them dont, all of them need to be replaced and at this sort of age, they would be getting very close to it ...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Tough... lots of items being replaced could indicate no expenses spared but could also indicate a problem car?

Does anyone have a link somewhere that shows the mechanical parts that should be replaced at xx,xxxkm or service interval?
its all relevant, and shouldn't matter.

Find out what has and hasn't been done on the cars you are looking at, rather than when others think it should be done.

It is a very high performance car, that gets abused as often as it gets used, you can assume they all have the potential of being problem cars.

Also, dont automatically think lower kms is better. If it is a weekend car, then yes much better, if it is city car and lived most its life in traffic ...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Not all M3s are abused. It's all a bit of luck too. You can never be 100% sure of a car's history. Maybe post links to the two cars?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Based on the limited information, M3 #2. You've looked at it and its in your final decision tree, so it must be in your budget.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts