BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! New member, new E46.

I picked up this topaz blue 2002 320Ci Sport from a used car garage near Birmingham, UK.

It runs well but it was pretty dirty, so I got a pro to clean the car today. He spent five hours on just about everything. The leather seats are now more milano handbag than old man's ball bag.

As you can see, it's almost 100% standard and I'll probably keep it that way apart from the wheels. Suggestions are more than welcome. I'm keen on Style 164.

So far:
- replaced main belt
- replaced cam pulley
- new oil/air filters
- new corners/repeaters
- LED tails, LED sidelight bulbs
- new hood badge

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
Beautiful!

As you can see, it's almost 100% standard and I'll probably keep it that way apart from the wheels.
Good man.

Suggestions are more than welcome. I'm pretty keen on Style 164.
164s are too....M3-ish. I think a nice set of Style 44s would set your car off perfectly.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Style 68s
Zhp knob
Clear corners

Enjoy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there,

Amazing :)

Can you tell me how you clean your leather? I am looking for anything that will deeply clean and protect my grey leather.

Guildford, near me, i am from South London :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there,

Amazing :)

Can you tell me how you clean your leather? I am looking for anything that will deeply clean and protect my grey leather.

Guildford, near me, i am from South London :)

Hi, local friend :) I think the guy used Autoglym and Meguiars. Whatever it was, it had a really nice matte finish, which took away years of greasy-looking shine.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think the knob makes a difference. It feels more comfortable and I like that it is heavier than the knob I had before. The M wheel makes all the difference in the world. One of my favorite interior mods.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Boy did we have some fun today. Sound quality is already a hell of a lot better.

There were some "Oh sh!t I think I broke something" moments. The relocation kit can wait until next week.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Busy morning!

– Six new NGK sparks
– Bosch pollen filter
– Bosch Aero Twin wiper blades
– LED number plate modules
– Chrome dial rings

May just be the placebo effect, but I swear it's running smoother now.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Peanut. Late '02 320Ci. Maintenance/mods updates.

Nothing much new going on here. Been deliberating doing the CDV delete soon, as the 1st-to-2nd gear change is becoming really irritating.

I have a slight worry that I've got a leak somewhere. When accelerating in 1st, the engine is busy making noise and revs, but it feels like the power is down. Going to check over the MAF etc this weekend. I know these cars aren't supposed to be like a bullet off the line, but it just doesn't feel quite right.

Also noticed a very quiet rattle when accelerating gently in 2nd. It's almost indistinguishable and is only for a second or two. But the pitch and sound is IDENTICAL to what I've heard on YouTube VANOS rattle videos. Does the rattle start out like that – just occasional? All the vids I've seen, the VANOS rattles even at idle.

On the whole though, car is running really well. The previous owner obviously put a lot of love, care, and services into it. Still in our "honeymoon period".

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drove the car quite hard to the beach and back. (Or as hard as one can in a 2.2). The next day, the lifters were really noisy all of a sudden. Topped off the oil and it stopped today. Back to normal.

In the process I noticed coolant was completely empty. Will keep an eye on that over the next few days as it could be the expansion tank or something deeper and darker.

Looking at a nice set of Style 44s tomorrow. They may need a bit of TLC, but either way, looking forward to changing the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

1 - 20 of 248 Posts