E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

If you are considering buying a Top Speed Race muffler, please read my long-winded experience/review.

I bought a Top Speed muffler a few months ago through Ebay. It had very few reviews, but it was so cheap that I figured it was worth a shot. I paid a couple hundred bucks for it and installed it myself in about 2 hours. This is where I ran into the first problem; The driver side tips hang about 1 inch lower than the passenger side, and they also poke out 1/2 inch or so. This is only noticeable to myself and other enthusiasts as I have to convince some of my friends one side is different.

After I got the stock muffler off, I drove it without any muffler for a few minutes. I then finished the installation and came to the conclusion that the sound, both in intensity and "quality" wasn't noticeably different after I put the Top Speed muffler on. The sound upon start-up is very deep and monotone. Sound throughout the revs: maintains deep monotone sound to 3000RPM, after that it gets EXTREMELY raspy and more high pitched. IMO, from 3000-4000RPM, it sounds like a rice racer civic. After 4000, it sounds very raspy still, but it also sounds cool (inside the cabin), although it drones loud at all RPMs. If you take it to 7-8000RPM and speed shift, it even backfires a bit! I drove it for a week or so and thought I made an amazing purchase, it's a head turning, loud as hell muffler for a couple hundred bucks.

Going back in time a bit to the day I put it on: I drove to school that day and within one hour of putting the muffler on, I got pulled over :facepalm:. I didn't get a ticket because I was respectful and played dumb. This, however, was the first of many inconveniences. Over the course of 3 months, I have been pulled over approximately 5 times just for having a loud exhaust. I still haven't been ticketed, but all 5 of the officers said they'll write me up next time I get pulled over by them. Even with the law disliking my new muffler, I still thought it was worth it and continued to drive with it.

By a month or so into the muffler, I noticed the right tip of the driver side was still clean on the inside whereas the other 3 were blacked from exhaust fumes. This bothers me even still, and my enthusiast friends make fun of me for it. It's pretty noticeable.

I still liked the way my car was sounding and decided I wanted to hear it from the outside. I had my brother drive past me a few times at different RPMs. The conclusion: My pride and joy sounds like absolute sh!t. The rasp is all you can hear on the outside, literally. Through all the RPMs it sounds like a civic. :bawling: :(

MY ADVICE: DO NOT BUY THE TOP SPEED RACE MUFFLER.
It is definitely worth it to save up and get a quality system. If my words aren't convincing enough, I could probably go take a few videos/pictures.

I'm now going to remove the muffler and put the stock one back on. My new plans are to get SS headers with borla midsection to the oem muffler. I haven't heard of anyone doing this setup, but I'm shooting for a drone free, rasp free, quiet when you want it, loud when you're on it exhaust system. I'd appreciate any insight as to how this will sound or alterations I should consider.

Thanks for reading! :)

· Registered
657 Posts
All those top speed/guppeM/agency power/Megan Racing/etc etc all sound the same. Like ****.

· Registered
540 Posts
When I bought my M3 mine has the same muffler on, sounds okay inside - but outside is AWFUL. I feel like a retard driving. My neighbors aint happy either.

Too bad OEM ones are 1k, and buying used from here shipping rapes me.

Buying a Remus when I get some moolah,

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try to take a couple videos tomorrow I guess.

All those top speed/guppeM/agency power/Megan Racing/etc etc all sound the same. Like ****.
You get what you pay for... way too many cheap ebay parts are installed on M3s these days.:facepalm:
True, very true.
When I bought my M3 mine has the same muffler on, sounds okay inside - but outside is AWFUL. I feel like a retard driving. My neighbors aint happy either.

Too bad OEM ones are 1k, and buying used from here shipping rapes me.

Buying a Remus when I get some moolah,
I'm also considering Remus... moolah is tough to come buy though :(
You bought it through ebay, what do you expect?
Seeing as there weren't any in depth reviews, I became impatient saving up for a legit muffler. I guess I was hoping for a diamond in the rough. Just because things are sold through a certain company, doesn't mean they are all going to be inferior...:dunno:
It's the part, not the vendor :p
:thumbup: right you are.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chances of scoring knockoffs or anything though are VERY high
Valid point, but I'm 85% sure it's authentic Top Speed because it has the logo thing welded on and is identical to the ones pictured on the actual website. I would suspect the knockoffs perform and sound identical to the authentics, it's such a simple design.

· Registered
657 Posts
Gruppe M cheap? :lmao::lmao:
I think the authentic Gruppe M also sounds like poop. Any exhaust in that particular canister style has never sounded good on the M3 IMO

· Registered
301 Posts
How about muffler delete?

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Borla mid and SS headers is a good choice. Stock muffler is not. Its a big brick.
Buy a new or used street RE El Diablo to pair with your borla mid for the absolute best sounding set up on a NA 46 M3 i have ever heard. Italian, sexy, loud but not criminally so.
I have never heard a better sounding set up...ever.
The exhaust has everything you want...low and burbly down low building to an scream at 8K RPM. Zero, I mean zero rasp.

I had to take my RE off since the Agency power is recommended for the stage 2.5 HPF kit. But buy the other guys muffler. They are fine used. The tips can be machine polished to chrome like appearance. Thats all you see really.

You will thank us for this. DONT put that stupid stock muffler back on...really.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Borla mid and SS headers is a good choice. Stock muffler is not. Its a big brick.
Buy a new or used street RE El Diablo to pair with your borla mid for the absolute best sounding set up on a NA 46 M3 i have ever heard. Italian, sexy, loud but not criminally so.
I have never heard a better sounding set up...ever.
The exhaust has everything you want...low and burbly down low building to an scream at 8K RPM. Zero, I mean zero rasp.

I had to take my RE off since the Agency power is recommended for the stage 2.5 HPF kit. But buy the other guys muffler. They are fine used. The tips can be machine polished to chrome like appearance. Thats all you see really.

You will thank us for this. DONT put that stupid stock muffler back on...really.
You, sir, could be an excellent salesman. I'm glad I got 2/3 sections right. Would you recommend working my way headers-back or muffler-forward? And seeing as I do not want cats, would the bimmerworld epic tune be a good idea when all of the hardware is on? It's my DD so I honestly don't care about maximum power gains, I just want the sound with no damn lights on the dash.

On a different note, I don't necessarily regret buying the POS top speed muffler. It's been the first "cheap" thing I've bought for the M, and it's sure as hell taught me a lesson. Now I'm gonna post it for sale on another forum:D

· Registered
2002 M3
324 Posts
I remember a thread where a company said they only saw gains over the stock muffler with the agency power exhaust and another one. I really like the sound of the remus exhaust but they are pricey and I wonder if you would see any gains from them.

· Registered
763 Posts
I remember a thread where a company said they only saw gains over the stock muffler with the agency power exhaust and another one. I really like the sound of the remus exhaust but they are pricey and I wonder if you would see any gains from them.
When it comes to muffler only, you are only going to see a very small power gain, even if you have it re-tuned. But, you can see a bigger overall performance gain, due to the HUGE reduction in weight hanging behind the rear axle (stock muffler is roughly 60#). Track guys like me run open exhaust as we can care less about the sound, but weight savings is everything! Even with an aftermarket muffler you can get a very large weight savings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.