BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some confusion on the speed limit (goverened) on US spec bimmers. (I was bored so I looked them all up)

These are the official governed speed limiters on US spec Bimmers

325- 128 mph
330- 128 mph
M3- 155 mph
525- 128 mph
530- 128 mph
540- 128 mph
540 with sport package- 155mph
M5- 155 mph
745- 149 mph
760- 149 mph
Z4- 2.5- 146 mph
Z4- 3.0- 155 mph
Z8- 155 mph
X5- 3.0- 126 mph
X5- 4.4- 128 mph
X4- 4.4 with sport package- 143 mph
X5- 4.6- 150 mph

·
Registered
178 Posts
speed limiters suck big!!!

Porsche does not use them ... why others do???? because they all think we are incompetent drivers with no responsabilaty

hey... maybe we are:dunno:

·
Registered
178 Posts
jlgone... i think M3 would go 285km/hour (177 miles)

·
Registered
644 Posts
how fast does my car really go? i think the governed thing is BS??
i have a manual 325ci 02

·
Registered
443 Posts
benzdriverke said:
speed limiters suck big!!!

Porsche does not use them ... why others do???? because they all think we are incompetent drivers with no responsabilaty

hey... maybe we are:dunno:
Porsche is the only German automaker to do this. Most limit their cars to 155 mph as per a gentlemens agreement with the german goverment. Else they would crack down more on the auto industry. This is something like the Japanese auto industry of having no publish HP about 276(?) just things that happen and really when are you going to hit 128 mph in the US legally? and if you really have to have a unlimited car to sit in rush hour go to Dinan.

·
Registered
740 Posts
maisenhe said:

Porsche is the only German automaker to do this. Most limit their cars to 155 mph as per a gentlemens agreement with the german goverment. Else they would crack down more on the auto industry. This is something like the Japanese auto industry of having no publish HP about 276(?) just things that happen and really when are you going to hit 128 mph in the US legally? and if you really have to have a unlimited car to sit in rush hour go to Dinan.
I think they're all maxed out at 155 because of tires. Most cars come with Z rated tires which are suppose to go up to 155 MPH.

How was this pulled off????

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
128 is that it? Well I have been to 120 but didn't go over. I got to check that out. I know the car can go much faster than that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
i thought it was bumped up to 143 or somethin with the sport package?? maybe i am wrong...

Mine is off anyway, thanks to the shark injector haha

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M3PinoyDriver said:

Most cars, particulatly bimmers, have big speedometer innacuracies, magazines talk about this all the time in their reviews.

Now seriously, what idiot takes a pic of their speed gauge going anywhere near that fast?? Seeing pics like this make me think about how stupid some drivers are......

·
Registered
740 Posts
bmwti said:

Most cars, particulatly bimmers, have big speedometer innacuracies, magazines talk about this all the time in their reviews.

Now seriously, what idiot takes a pic of their speed gauge going anywhere near that fast?? Seeing pics like this make me think about how stupid some drivers are......
too bad its not my pic or me doin it:flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: but when I do pics like that I always let the passenger do it.

·
'a certain moderator'
35,565 Posts
i have hit an indicated 138, so yea, i would guess speedo inacuracy

road and track did a test a year or so ago, testing speedo acuracy... BMW ranked about last, at 70mph (ensured by radar sources) the speedo showed 73.X mph, more than 3mph off at 70, imagine how much its off at 120+

-brendan

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M3PinoyDriver said:
too bad its not my pic or me doin it:flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: but when I do pics like that I always let the passenger do it.
dont think i was implying that it was your own pic;)

·
Grüne Hölle Junkie
1,646 Posts
M3PinoyDriver said:
I think they're all maxed out at 155 because of tires. Most cars come with Z rated tires which are suppose to go up to 155 MPH.

car was probably up on a lift and car was also probably chipped...:dunno:

·
Registered
39 Posts
bmwti said:

You thought 170 mph was bad....look at this pic I came across a few months back....may be photoshopped....who knows???:dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
bmwti said:

dont think i was implying that it was your own pic;)
haha yea I thought u didn't say that to me. Just wanted to say that so no one else thinks I took it going that fast :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Bimmer Ese said:

You thought 170 mph was bad....look at this pic I came across a few months back....may be photoshopped....who knows???:dunno:
That's Johan's Kelleners tuned m3 on the bmwm5.com forum! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts