BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just turned 16 and has his operators license and I am trying to find out if there is a way that I can limit the top end speed on my 2010 M3. The car has a double clutch transmission. I know it has a limitation from the factory but I am looking for something much more restrictive. I have seen a lot of threads about removing the speed limitation but nothing on making it more restrictive.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You could restrict it by getting him something with less then 400hp. If I got my hands on my dads m3 at 16 I would spend most of my time driving it sideways. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you bored?

To all those with too little to do and too much time on their hands: I did not ask for your smart-ass remarks. I simply asked if anyone had any knowledge on the subject posted! Not that it is any of your business, but if you read the post you would see it is MY car. Of course my son wants to drive it and I am looking for a safety precaution. Now you can get back to you obvioulsy uninteresting life.

I am looking for a solution, not ridicule or smart-ass comments. PLEASE, if you can't comprehend the question or cannot offer advice about the original thread, don't waste my time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could restrict it by getting him something with less then 400hp. If I got my hands on my dads m3 at 16 I would spend most of my time driving it sideways. :D
Great idea! Wish I had thought of that. I will sell my M3 and buy something else. Thanks, Mr. Obvious!

Buy him an accord
And yet another response that has nothing to do with the post. If you don't have anything related to say perhaps you should say nothing!

What about a detuned preset?

Like Valet mode?
Not sure what you mean by that? I understand the concept but how would I accomplish it?

·
Registered
615 Posts
To all those with too little to do and too much time on their hands: I did not ask for your smart-ass remarks. I simply asked if anyone had any knowledge on the subject posted! Not that it is any of your business, but if you read the post you would see it is MY car. Of course my son wants to drive it and I am looking for a safety precaution. Now you can get back to you obvioulsy uninteresting life.

I am looking for a solution, not ridicule or smart-ass comments. PLEASE, if you can't comprehend the question or cannot offer advice about the original thread, don't waste my time.
Jesus Christ man. People just trying to joke a little.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Not sure what you mean by that? I understand the concept but how would I accomplish it?
I am not well versed in tuning at all, but I had read about a system that allowed for toggling between an eco tune, performance tune, and a valet tune that was more restrictive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You'll probably have better luck asking the folks on m3forum.net

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
My son just turned 16 and has his operators license and I am trying to find out if there is a way that I can limit the top end speed on my 2010 M3. The car has a double clutch transmission. I know it has a limitation from the factory but I am looking for something much more restrictive. I have seen a lot of threads about removing the speed limitation but nothing on making it more restrictive.
The answer is "no" to your question.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great idea! Wish I had thought of that. I will sell my M3 and buy something else. Thanks, Mr. Obvious!

And yet another response that has nothing to do with the post. If you don't have anything related to say perhaps you should say nothing!

Those actually seem reasonable suggestions; but not what you want to hear, I gather. If this other driver cannot be trusted to keep the speed down, then there are plenty of other problems with power before 155 mph. Limiting the top speed doesn't matter too much. It is plenty reckless to drive 60 mph in residential areas and an M3 will reach that speed in short seconds and even a Honda will get there in a moment.

If it's like the E46 M3, don't let the other driver disable the traction control. But even stating this restriction to an untrusted person will make the DSC button jolly and candy-like.

Maybe you could get some sort of a black box that records driving actions like speed, g-force, wheel spin, and whatnot.
I suggest taking your son to a track area and exceeding the car's limits where nothing will get hit (your M3, pedestrians or other cars). This would not only develop driving skills, but would temper the curiosity to experiment with these limits in an improper area.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Someone link the video to the kid crashing the m3 in the desert.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I too hate when people post useless, unfunny things in threads with legitimate questions.

On the subject of helpful things...

I know that Vishnu and/or JuiceBox tuning for 335's has a "Valet Mode" that restrict the car to 100hp, 100lb-ft of tq, so it wouldn't be far fetched at all to look for some performance tuning for your car. Certain companies plug-&-play software can alter your A/F ratio and INCREASE power, along with also having optional driving settings like: Standard, Race, Valet, etc.

Something else might be a custom map that sets the rev-limiter to hold the car below 4000 rpms, etc. I wish I had more information about who had software/ecu/chip/reflashes for the E92M, but I don't. Hope that helps.

Best of luck dude.
-Chris

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

And yet while you lecture others in your condescending tone on whether the responses are (in your opinion) relevant - you posted a technical question on an E92 M3 on an E46 board.

And you somehow expect to receive relevant answers on a board that has NOTHING to do with your car.

Typical entitlement FNG.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
And yet while you lecture others in your condescending tone on whether the responses are (in your opinion) relevant - you posted a technical question on an E92 M3 on an E46 board.

And you somehow expect to receive relevant answers on a board that has NOTHING to do with your car.

Typical entitlement FNG.
Are you on some kind of anti E92 rant today?
-Chris

·
Registered
531 Posts

This has everything to do with the post! Why on earth might one want to let his newly licensed 16 year old boy drive an E92 BMW M3 that was probably in excess of $70,000 when it was brand new two years ago? Oh that's right, it makes perfect sense to hand your son the keys to your 414 horsepower car and say "don't reck it." No matter how much you limit it colossal damage can still be done.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts