E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching a while and admittedly might have missed it in this forum but could use some pointers. Basically the convertible top functions properly except when it goes all the way down, the lid cover that comes down will not lock in place. The locks are partially closed at all times so the top latches can't go in the lock properly. I took out the locks and they look fine but looks like the cable is tensioned too much or something. Is there an adjustment or a guide to how to do this somewhere because I can't find any manuals with the breakdown info or anything. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm pretty new with all this stuff but can't hurt to try.. Isn't latching controlled by actuator under the bottom of the back seat? Cables are fed out of there. You could try unhooking the cable and moving them my hand to see if one is binding up causing the trouble. Remove center piece of back seat to expose the leather flap you need to unhook from the seat back. Then you can simply pull up on the base to remove it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The storage compartment cover is locked down in place by the cover lock motor which pulls on the two bowden cables which in turn unlocks/locks the cover latches.

Text

The cover lock motor is a common problem with our convertible systems. Usually the motor will faill/skip due to increase wear of the motor's gears and/or increased tension from the bowden cables and latches. This wear/tension cause the motor's metal gears to skip teeth when the motor is engaged to unlock/lock the cover latches. The motor itself has a plastic top cover which doesn't have enough downward pressure to keep the metal gears engaged when the motor experiences increased tension and/or wear. Most owners hear a loud popping noise coming from underneath the rear seat and will notice that the storage compartment cover fails to unlock/lock.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Text Car Font

One fix is to rig something (in my case a piece of metal) on top of the cover motor and attach it to the motor to provide additional downward pressure for the motor's gears. I used plastic zip ties to secure the piece of metal to the cover motor and it provided the proper amount of downward pressure the cover motor needed.

Another way to help the motor operate correctly is to adjust the tension for the two bowden cables so that the cover latches only use enough force to properly secure the storage compartment cover in place and activate the hall switch which tells the Convertible Top Module (CVM) that the cover is secure.

If you look at the picture below you will see the two bowden cables as they attach to the mechanical arm connected to the cover lock motor. There you will find two adjustment nuts that can turned to decrease/increase the tension of the bowden cables. Be sure that you do not decrease the tension so much that the latches will no longer secure the storage compartment cover in place. I did about 1/2 turn to each bowden cable to decrease the tension and my cover lock motor no longer has any problems with unlocking/locking the storage compartment cover.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive window part

Good luck with your repair and let us know if you end up fixing your problem. Take Care!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am fairly confident it isn't the motors as I hear them working and after the top is completely down and cover closed I can open the top and see the latches in the down position. It really is as if the cables that tension the latches open just don't allow enough slack. I will try and pull the back seat and trade the cables as mentioned. Any other suggestions or adjustments please shoot em my way. Thanks

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I am fairly confident it isn't the motors as I hear them working and after the top is completely down and cover closed I can open the top and see the latches in the down position. It really is as if the cables that tension the latches open just don't allow enough slack. I will try and pull the back seat and trade the cables as mentioned. Any other suggestions or adjustments please shoot em my way. Thanks
Remove the lower rear seat.
Flip up the front part of the cover on the motor.
Turn the motor using the allen key until the ends of the cables are visible.
Ensure the cables are secured properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That did the trick but in doing so uncovered a new problem.... Basically I found as two of you mentioned (sorry I missed that in the end of the previous post) that the cables somehow were seated way in the hole as opposed to how the picture showed. Once I removed tension and seated them which gave the proper slack, it seemed to work properly. That is until it lowered the lock to the very bottom. Then I heard clicking and realized basically the middle gear in that box is jumping and not allowing it to tighten all the way. I apply some pressure to the top of the box cover to keep the gear seated and it tightens and loosens as expected. I took the cover off and everything looks fine but that middle gear just slips right off.
I need to check it again to see if it is just worn down possibly but anything else I should look for? Possibly something that is supposed to hold that gear down?
I can't imagine someone messed with it and caused this at the shop but does seem strange that both tension cables were set all the way in the hopes rather than normal....
Thanks again for the advice. This is going to save me about $600 they wanted to charge me for new motors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Heard this is a common problem. Some will make a metal plate to sit on top and fashion something to hold it on tight such a zip ties or brackets.

That did the trick but in doing so uncovered a new problem.... Basically I found as two of you mentioned (sorry I missed that in the end of the previous post) that the cables somehow were seated way in the hole as opposed to how the picture showed. Once I removed tension and seated them which gave the proper slack, it seemed to work properly. That is until it lowered the lock to the very bottom. Then I heard clicking and realized basically the middle gear in that box is jumping and not allowing it to tighten all the way. I apply some pressure to the top of the box cover to keep the gear seated and it tightens and loosens as expected. I took the cover off and everything looks fine but that middle gear just slips right off.
I need to check it again to see if it is just worn down possibly but anything else I should look for? Possibly something that is supposed to hold that gear down?
I can't imagine someone messed with it and caused this at the shop but does seem strange that both tension cables were set all the way in the hopes rather than normal....
Thanks again for the advice. This is going to save me about $600 they wanted to charge me for new motors.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Then I heard clicking and realized basically the middle gear in that box is jumping and not allowing it to tighten all the way. I apply some pressure to the top of the box cover to keep the gear seated and it tightens and loosens as expected. I took the cover off and everything looks fine but that middle gear just slips right off.
Common problem.

Search and you'll find threads where members have fashioned clamps to keep pressure on the lid. This is a much better fix:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.339148989513111.79538.263614780399866&type=1

I performed the exact same fix with sleeve nut. My post describes how to source the correct parts:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=1066815983&postcount=67

·
Registered
2 Posts
Taylor192,

I’m having the issue with clicking from the motor cover and I want to do the bolt repair you cited with sleeve nut. With M3forum now defunct the link is dead. Tried searching nam3forum.com to see if it got carried over. If you still have the info on the repair can you repost it please. Thank you!

KOnOK

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone have the clicking problem post new metal cover and also securing it in place with a heavy bolt? the gear itself is not in bad condition but I think it's from a winter storage and the cables are harder than normal for the gear to pull.

Is there a way to lubricate the cable to ease up on the load on the motor and gears? Thank you

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Phil, I have it clamped down pretty tight already with a couple of heavy duty hose clips and a rather large 4" bolt, along with the machined cover I bought off of ebay to replace the stock plastic one.

The issue I believe is the cables its moving are not moving very freely and it's putting extra load on the motor, so I am wondering what I can do to reduce the load and get the cables moving better.

This worked perfectly all year last year in the warm months, just when it was sitting and cold is when it arose again.

Thanks for your reply.

Essentially you need to clamp the top tighter to the gear wheel, I used à 10mm aluminium bar and 2 big jubille clips

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Phil, that was exactly the issue, the seating of the cables under the backseat. Was barely noticeable it was out of place, but taking them out and reseating them fixed it good as new. Thanks for your help!

Check the seating of the cables under the back seat it could be that they,are not located properly, or the latches need lubrication

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Phil, after about a month of sporadic but trouble free operation, it appears the same cable seating option has come up again.

I lubricated the side latches last time, but any ideas what else I can do to prevent this from happening and I don't have to remove rear seat and fix the cables again?

Thanks once again.

Check the seating of the cables under the back seat it could be that they,are not located properly, or the latches need lubrication

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just taken these, make sure the cable ends are as photo 2, then make sure the cover in photo 1 is pushed down until the tabs left and right clock into place, after that you May need to adjust the cables

·
Registered
46 Posts
Appreciate the photos!
Any ideas on what to do to prevent the cable ends from moving around? It seems mine seem to inch up and down a bit that affects the top opening.

Just taken these, make sure the cable ends are as photo 2, then make sure the cover in photo 1 is pushed down until the tabs left and right clock into place, after that you May need to adjust the cables

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have this photo, it shoes black clips just under the carpet edge, it maybe that yours are missing, at the same time maker sure the adjusters sit as per the photos

·
Registered
46 Posts
The problem has gotten worse where any movement of the top, up or down, causes the clicking and the roof doesnt move at all. Cover over the rear motor is secure, gears are OK, cable ends are seated but possibly adjusted incorrectly to be causing the issue. Just really frustrated at this point, argh.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.