BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The convertible top on my 2003 M3 is sticking on the way down, right after the back bottom rises and the deck cover comes up. When I checked on it, the deck cover was leaning on the rear bottom which had lowered. When it sticks there, the button light flashes continuously and nothing more will happen whether I press the top up or top down button. I am able to manually close the top and in fact after I push the release button on the gear box behind the rear seat then I can push the top up button and it will close the top automatically. From what I have been reading on line, my guess is that I have a bad position sensor or broken wire in the system. I think this is one of those "have to go to the dealer" situations but wanted to put this thread out there to see if anyone can confirm that. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine got stuck in this exact same position when one of my latches broke and no longer would allow the front of the top to straighten out to fully latch. Double check the front hinge to see if its clearing over the pin. If its not then the latch is broken and its stuck. You'll have to do the latch repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks but the latches are fine. The top closes automatically, it just won't go all the way down.

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks but the latches are fine. The top closes automatically, it just won't go all the way down.
At the front fold, at the elbow, is the joint able to go over the pin? If it can, then its not the latches. If it hitting the pin, then the front latch is probably broken. You can also try to shine a light under the cover and try to see if the plastic part is broken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts