E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
It's not under pressure as it's just sealing the reservoir. Also there is very little fluid contact because it's right up the top and away from where the fluid is held. I've never replaced or annealed this one for this reason and never had an issue.
thanks. I never heard this annealing process honestly and I won't make damages due to fact that I can't find a spare oring 馃槀 I'll try to fit it as it is and if I have leaks, I'll try it.
Guess I have to apply a not so big torque to this bolt being aluminium. Right?

Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The pump itself works up to 200bar, but there are no specific torques for the reservoir (except for the filling screw and the mounting one), probably because is considered as NON serviceable
This one interests me

Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
...While I was at it, I rethought the pump soundproofing.
Mine was greasy and ruined, torn due to maintenance certainly done in the past but above all soaked in oil.
I searched online and doesn't exist anymore brand new, not even in BMW. Used, it doesn't seem very smart to look for a 20-year-old and certainly half-broken sponge, so I thought I'd redo it from scratch but improving it.

For less than 鈧20, I took a 2m pipe of neoprene insulation for water pipes with a diameter of 89mm and I modeled it with the shape of the old pump. But I didn't want to redo it like the original since the most boring thing is to verify the oil level because you have to remove the lower "sponge" every time causing it to tear a little more.

I therefore thought of the entire shell as frontally inspectable and covered with fabric with a zip.
More insulating and performing than the previous one, makes easiest to check the oil level just lowering the zip.

Photograph Wood Road surface Yellow Grey
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Fender Gas Road surface

White Sleeve Grey Personal protective equipment Human leg

Sleeve Gesture Waist Blazer Luggage and bags

Attachments

Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
pay a lot of attention to Galvanic corrosion (on weaker metal),
in your shoes, as the reservoir doesn't need to be re-opened, i'd rather use some sealant such as Sikaflex 291 or 591 which will grant you a perfect seal in all the conditions..
SHOULD not need to be reopened.
These sealants are removable somehow?
Or leave residues like rtv?

Sofa-king-what
'00 323Cic manual
SHOULD not need to be reopened.
These sealants are removable somehow?
Or leave residues like rtv?
if you need to reopen it, means that something went wrong before, mine still untouched since the production day, so before doing anything be sure to solve all the issue that may involve an other reservoir job.
it can be removed with the specific "remover" but also other kind of thinners can be used, all the residues (also RTV ones) can be removed with the proper solution/method

i'm talking about glues, not Epoxy, which would be the definitive solution but that, is quite impossible to remove

Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
if you need to reopen it, means that something went wrong before, mine still untouched since the production day, so before doing anything be sure to solve all the issue that may involve an other reservoir job.
it can be removed with the specific "remover" but also other kind of thinners can be used, all the residues (also RTV ones) can be removed with the proper solution/method

i'm talking about glues, not Epoxy, which would be the definitive solution but that, is quite impossible to remove
Defect is that i'm quat sure te leak is from the pump but I'm obviously acting step by step, so I want to be sure I can refill of the first attempt fails. And the copper gasket is one of the main suspect, too. So while I need to be sure the leak don't came from here, I want to be able to refill easily if I have to investigate further. I will go on with research of a copper gasket or I'll go with annealing first.

Sofa-king-what
'00 323Cic manual
Defect is that i'm quat sure te leak is from the pump but I'm obviously acting step by step, so I want to be sure I can refill of the first attempt fails. And the copper gasket is one of the main suspect, too. So while I need to be sure the leak don't came from here, I want to be able to refill easily if I have to investigate further. I will go on with research of a copper gasket or I'll go with annealing first.
Omar, my suggestion was NOT for the refill screw, but for the "cap" of the reservoir

Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Omar, my suggestion was NOT for the refill screw, but for the "cap" of the reservoir
Sorry, didn't understand. You're talking about the 2 rubber oring but I was talink of annealing: obviously only on copper 馃槣
Main concern is that copper oring instead

Registered
2000 320Ci 2.2 vert MT
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I've found the 2 o-rings and the copper washer!
I had to buy a kit of tons of copper washer...but I have what I need 馃槄
Next months I'll replace them and see if it'll work :)
I wanted to put a plastic transparent bag wrapping the pump inside the insulation to see if it becomes oily and mainly WHERE it may become oily: the sponge if dirts makes a mess and is hard to find an eventual leak.
there may be some overheating risks on wrapping it?

Sofa-king-what
'00 323Cic manual
there may be some overheating risks on wrapping it?
if over the standart working temperature, the sys wil go into safe mode and you won't be able to operate the top 'till the temperature decrease.
I dunno the difference in thermal proprieties between the Oem sponge and the Neoprene, but for sure your external cover will keep less ventilated (even if talking about ventilation back there is quite a absurd)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts