E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to wax my car. So far i've done it twice in about 1.5 months. I find a lot of pleasure in it. It sure shines up nice. Can waxing be a bad thing? Or is it ok to wax once a month?

I am a bit obsessed. Heheh.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Momo3 said:
I like to wax my car. So far i've done it twice in about 1.5 months. I find a lot of pleasure in it. It sure shines up nice. Can waxing be a bad thing? Or is it ok to wax once a month?

I am a bit obsessed. Heheh.
Natural waxes generally only have a durability life span of a month or slightly longer so to answer your question, its perfectly fine to wax once a month, we actually encourage it to maintain protection. Sealing once a month on the other hand is overkill and should be more like once every 3 - 4 months, but even if you use a sealant you can certainly wax over it once a month.

Keep it up :)

George @ Detailed Image

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow, i must be extrmely obsessed. I actually tend to wax my car at least once a week (during warm weather) and sometimes even twice in one weekend. Once saturday and once sunday. LOL

Is that bad for the paint?? I always heard that waxing doesn't hurt paint. Compounding and using other abrasive cleaning agents are bad but not wax or polish.

Am i right in thinking this???

·
Registered
684 Posts
You're fine, its just excessive. Good way to layer it though, I bet the glow is amazing.

You're right, if you compounded that much you'd have one ugly looking car w/o paint lol.

George @ DI

·
Registered
621 Posts
You Are Fine As Long As You Are Waxing.
Btw Detailed Image, I Was Wondering What Product Should I Use To Wax My Car. I Want The Best Product+method That Eliminates Swirls The Most If Not Completely As Well As Gives Me The Best Finish, After One Application Without Having To Use The Clay Bar.

·
Registered
684 Posts
donjuan45i said:
Btw Detailed Image, I Was Wondering What Product Should I Use To Wax My Car. I Want The Best Product+method That Eliminates Swirls The Most If Not Completely As Well As Gives Me The Best Finish, After One Application Without Having To Use The Clay Bar.
My personal favorite combination is Menzerna Intensive Polish with an Orange Cutting Pad followed by Menzerna Final Polish II with a White Polishing Pad both done with a Porter Cable 7424 obviously. This should eliminate a majority of swirls and imperfections and from there you can go to a glaze, sealant or wax. My favorites for each of those categories are Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze or ClearKote Red Moose Glaze.

For sealants I love Menzerna Full Mollecular Jacket (FMJ) due to its ease of use, amazing look and great durability.

For waxes, Natty's Blue for the money, P21s Concours Wax on all colors, especially lighter ones, and Pinnicle Souveran for the absolute best on darker vehicles.

That's my .02 on what my favorite products are.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

·
Registered
759 Posts
donjuan45i said:

Use the clay bar :thumbup:

I am using Menzerna IP and FPII with very good results with my porter cable polisher. I also have FMJ, Red Machine Glaze and Soverean (too much other stuff to list). All excellent products.

Steve

Greg - I notice that my LSP does not seem to bond as well when I use RMG, any suggestions? My LSP was Collinite IW845 and it just did not perform as it usually does.

To be detailed with FPII RMG and Soverean

·
Registered
684 Posts
Typically, its tough to get a sealant to bond to RMG, that's why I usually only suggest it if you plan on topping it with a wax every month or so but the results are amazing.

Also, try this out if you want to improve Menzerna IP... Mix in 1/4th RMG and 3/4ths Intensive Polish to reduce the dusting, increase working time and make removal easier. It also works with Power Gloss.

George @ Detailed Image

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thank you George!! I have heard about mixing RMG with IP and FPII. I just don't have much, so I'll have to decide when to do it.

Steve

Detailed Image said:
Typically, its tough to get a sealant to bond to RMG, that's why I usually only suggest it if you plan on topping it with a wax every month or so but the results are amazing.

Also, try this out if you want to improve Menzerna IP... Mix in 1/4th RMG and 3/4ths Intensive Polish to reduce the dusting, increase working time and make removal easier. It also works with Power Gloss.

George @ Detailed Image

·
Registered
476 Posts
Detailed Image said:
You're fine, its just excessive. Good way to layer it though, I bet the glow is amazing.

You're right, if you compounded that much you'd have one ugly looking car w/o paint lol.

George @ DI
Yes, it is glowing pretty nicely these days! :clap:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
shicks that steel blue looks incredible. To the original poster it is ok to wax often as long as you are not using a cleaner wax such as nu-finish or meguiars cleaner wax, etc. These contain abrasives, actually most autoparts store waxes contain abrasives so YMMV.

·
Registered
759 Posts
AlBoston said:
shicks that steel blue looks incredible. To the original poster it is ok to wax often as long as you are not using a cleaner wax such as nu-finish or meguiars cleaner wax, etc. These contain abrasives, actually most autoparts store waxes contain abrasives so YMMV.
Thanks,
Steel Grey When it's cloudy it looks blueish.

In the sun with OCW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts