BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the steering guibo this weekend because I though that the play in my steering was due to that being failed. The old one I pulled out appeared to be in ok shape and after I put the new one in, the steering play was reduced but it was still there. Also, now if I put the steering wheel completely level, the car goes to the right a bit (I don't know what to do about that, I locked the steering wheel and was careful not to move anything as a changed out the guibo. The steering play that you see in the video below is also present with the steering wheel "locked" which leads me to think that it is in the steering column some where. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7c_mYx1g8

*I know I have been posting lots of things lately, but my car has a list of problems that I am trying to tackle for the end of the year and all of them seem to be "ghost in the machine" type problems :tsk: But I thank all of you for the input you provide, you have no idea how much it has helped me. Thanks :clap:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
you really need to get the front end back in the air and check the rest of the steering system. There is a chance the rack itself may be bad causing all of that play

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you really need to get the front end back in the air and check the rest of the steering system. There is a chance the rack itself may be bad causing all of that play
Ok, how do you check the rack?

Also, the play I have is like very loose and then the steering kicks in, there is a dead zone where you can move the wheel and nothing happens. I would say that this dead zone is about half an inch. Its not hard at all to move the wheel in this "play zone" you can literally move it with your pink finger and minimal force until the steering "kicks in". Also something worth noting would be that while I was changing the guibo I noticed that I could turn the steering column a little from under the car and hear a clunk noise that was coming from somewhere higher up on the column. Thanks for the help, I would like to get this resolved as it is extremely frustrating to have to fight your car to go in a straight line at higher speeds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FCABS and everything else to do with the control arms are new (about a year old and less than 5000 miles). My dad, also a BMW person, thinks it might be the tie rods as I am also getting a popping noise while braking. Do you guys think that could be it? Of course, its entirely possible that it is a combinations of things, the car has 197,xxx miles on it and the previous owner didn't do crap for maintenance besides change the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts