BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Sounds like stripped gears or something.

They have a great warranty though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like stripped gears or something.

They have a great warranty though.
I believe the warranty only applies to the original owner with sales receipt. I'll contact them and see what they say. The lens is in great condition, otherwise, with no visible damage.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
They are discontinued. Wonder if they had a lot of problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are discontinued. Wonder if they had a lot of problems.
I'm not sure. There's surprisingly not a lot of info out there on this lens. Sad thing is, I got rid of my Tamron 17-50/2.8 to purchase this lens :( I had the Tamron for over 3 years and it was quite dependable. Having a few Tokina's in the past, 35/2.8 and 12-24/4, I really enjoyed their build quality and optical performance, so I thought I'd try the 16-50/2.8 as my "walk around" lens. I'm disappointed to say the least.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'm not sure. There's surprisingly not a lot of info out there on this lens. Sad thing is, I got rid of my Tamron 17-50/2.8 to purchase this lens :( I had the Tamron for over 3 years and it was quite dependable. Having a few Tokina's in the past, 35/2.8 and 12-24/4, I really enjoyed their build quality and optical performance, so I thought I'd try the 16-50/2.8 as my "walk around" lens. I'm disappointed to say the least.
I thought the same thing. I like my Tamron but I love my Tokina 11-16 f2.8. I was thinking of "upgrading" too... :banghead:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the same thing. I like my Tamron but I love my Tokina 11-16 f2.8. I was thinking of "upgrading" too... :banghead:
I've heard great things about the 11-16. I'm going to send the lens to Tokina for repair. Hopefully I'll be more pleased with it when it returns.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I've heard great things about the 11-16. I'm going to send the lens to Tokina for repair. Hopefully I'll be more pleased with it when it returns.
Did they quote you any price? Just curious.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it- I had a Canon mount version some time ago (briefly owned a 7D), and the lens was simply amazing. Much better than the Tamron or Sigma equivalents. Sucks that the seller screwed you, but once it's fixed, I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with the lens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to post an update here. I received the original receipt and mailed everything in to Tokina. They received the lens on the 31st, repaired the autofocus motor, and shipped it back out on the 1st. I should have it back by Thursday.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Last update on this lens. I received the lens back from Tokina, and initially, it worked great. However, after the first ten minutes, it reverted back to making the clicking noise. I sent it back to Tokina and was informed it was irreparable. The rep stated this lens has caused problems since day one. They are issuing me a refund for the full purchase price of the lens.

I'm thinking about picking up the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM as a replacement. Any thoughts?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts