BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...hash=item280241263927&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

Did you know they are using your car to sell their lights? :yikes:

I forget what your name is or I'd PM you, but look, that's your car in the picture they're using!!!

I was just browsing through "e46 smoked" search results on ebay for some smoked sidemarkers and I saw the thumbnail pic on the search page and knew it was your car, scary how many times I've drooled over it huh? :drool:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Time to sue...

:eeps:

·
Registered
281 Posts
That kind of banter is what's wrong with this country. We have such an over-developed sense of entitlement that we think we deserve monetary compensation when absolutely nothing happens to us.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
i think we're jumping to the conclusion that the owner of that car didn't give explicit permission for his car to be used.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is different, since my wife is a person, not a motor vehicle. As per the laws of our country, my wife is afforded reasonable rights of privacy, a vehicle is not. In all honesty, you really cannot tell whose car that is, because it may be an identical silver E46 with identical wheels, and identical tail light covers of the same model year with the same features, same % tint. The license plate is not visible, so it is NOT a privacy infringement.

Don't compare apples to oranges. All I was stating is that monetary gain aside, in order to SUE someone, you need to be able to prove DAMAGES. Nothing/no one is being damaged here, therefore there are absolutely no grounds on which to file a law-suit.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
+1 very true

If I took pictures of your wife/girlfriend and used her image to sell dildos and condoms...

Would you be cool with that?

Using his pictures/car for monetary gain without permission is not cool.

If you are selling a product and want to promote it, take your own pics and dont steal others.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
ok im not saying that its right to sue the company. no not at all. im just agreeing that its not polite to use others photos without consent (which i can't say that the owner of the vehicle didn't give consent)
so basically im agreeing with both of you

It's not very true.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Actually you can sue for this. If they didn't take the pic them selves they can't legally use it without your permission. This happened to a couple of guys on the Audi forums. They sent a letter to the people saying they intended to sue for them using there pics without permission. the company settled with them saying they would pay them for the use of it....... i know at least 2 people this work for

·
Registered
323 Posts
While I agree that this country is very sue happy and many want money for nothing - there is a point here.

If they didn't take the picture - or get permission from the owner of the car - then they should not being using the picture to sell there product.

Many times in this country you have to threaten a lawsuit to get a company or individual to take action - or they will simply ignore you

I would contact the company, but for all we know the owner sent in the pics of his car and told them they could use it

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its not?

Can I have those pics of your mom/sister/girlfriend/wife then?

I got all these condoms I gotta move:rofl:

I'm thinking a couple "tasteful" billboards along I-95

cool?

I'm not talking legalities or lawsuits... I'm jut saying that using his pics, isnt cool
I'm not going to disagree with you any further about this, first because you are a moderator, and I don't watch to catch flak, and second because as I've already stated, it's just not the same thing. Cars do not have the same rights that people do, so I really am unclear about why you are drawing this parallel. Immanuel Kant said it is pointless to argue something you know to be true, so I am going to cease arguing.

EDIT: I agree with you 100% that it isn't cool to use his pics if, in fact they are his pics. So I guess we agree on this. If I were him, and I had not given them permission to use them, or that was not implied in their/my taking a picture of my car, and it really offended me, I would ask that they took them down; I wouldn't even think about a lawsuit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That kind of banter is what's wrong with this country. We have such an over-developed sense of entitlement that we think we deserve monetary compensation when absolutely nothing happens to us.

We're not entitled?

Oh man... I'm going to have to totally rethink my plans on getting rich.

I was totally going to sue Breyers for the brain freeze their ice cream gave me last night.

Now I'm going to have to get a job... :bawling:

·
Registered
281 Posts
We're not entitled?

Oh man... I'm going to have to totally rethink my plans on getting rich.

I was totally going to sue Breyers for the brain freeze their ice cream gave me last night.

Now I'm going to have to get a job... :bawling:
Sucks, right!? haha

·
Registered
532 Posts
If I took pictures of your wife/girlfriend and used her image to sell dildos and condoms...

Would you be cool with that?

Using his pictures/car for monetary gain without permission is not cool.

If you are selling a product and want to promote it, take your own pics and dont steal others.
Come there is a huge diffrence there.. They should have asked for permission. But what has the owner of the car lost? People are so sue happy in the U.S. its pathetic!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is different, since my wife is a person, not a motor vehicle. As per the laws of our country, my wife is afforded reasonable rights of privacy, a vehicle is not. In all honesty, you really cannot tell whose car that is, because it may be an identical silver E46 with identical wheels, and identical tail light covers of the same model year with the same features, same % tint. The license plate is not visible, so it is NOT a privacy infringement.

Don't compare apples to oranges. All I was stating is that monetary gain aside, in order to SUE someone, you need to be able to prove DAMAGES. Nothing/no one is being damaged here, therefore there are absolutely no grounds on which to file a law-suit.
+1. it's common sense.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.