BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - currently an owner of a 2002 325xi.

Recently, I have been considering upgrading to a 2008 335xi Coupe.

Any reason why I should consider a different model? Are there any major problems that come up with the 335 Coupe?

How is the reliability?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
A 335 is going to be a higher cost maintenance than the N52, but most will say the 300+ hp plus the easy ability to increase it is worth it. With the 328 N52 you can get the 330 manifold for 25hp, plus a chip tune adds 20 hp, and everything after that becomes very expensive per hp gained. It is more reliable and trouble free versus the 335. If buying a 335, I would recommend getting the newest and lowest miles one that you can afford.

You might also consider the next gen F30 4 cylinder, which is very efficient in both power and hp, but then the noise of the engine, the electric steering, and the bigger car might not be your cup of tea. They sold a lot of them, so they will be coming down in price very quickly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Me too!!!

I am currently in a '04 330 Coupe that I still really like, but I have been thinking about upgrading to the 335i Coupe.
I plan on finding one to test drive this weekend to get a feel of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided on a beautiful 2009 Alpine White 335xi coupe. If you are thinking of upgrading to the 335i I would totally suggest doing so, if you can afford it. I love it so far!

·
Registered
230 Posts
@Beancounter88---
Congrats on the ride. What would you say is the most prominent difference between E46 & your 335xi that you'very experienced so far?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I went from an '01 325Cic AT to an '09 335 Coupe w/MT and it's quite a jump in performance. It's a different ride as the E46 but so much more fun to drive. It's only been six months and the little things have been under $100 a month so I'll see what it costs to own. My E46 averaged $110 a month for maintenance, a new set of tires and Style 197's plus all repairs.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I see this OP was 2016 -- but this is to help those that are considering moving up from an E46 to an E90.

In our family we have 1999 323i, 2000 323ci, 2001 325i, 2003 M-sport 325i (crashed and is now a parts car) -- We just bought our first 2006 E90 325xi with iDive.

We do all of our own maintenance on the "BMW fleet" and I can say that one draw back that I have found is that most of the BMW forums do not discuss issues and resolutions for the E90s. So if you rely on forums to assist you with diagnosing and repairing you will likely find less support for the E90s than you have experienced with the E46s.

Have a look at all the postings here and you will see that most go unanswered.

If you have an Independent garage or a Dealer that performs all of you diagnostics and repairs then this will not factor into your decision to get an E90.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts