BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quesiton i just installed my 12w7 runed by a 500/1 mono jl amp. i turn the car on and slowly chekc the beat it hits but the battery dies, jump start it. an hour later try again, battery dies, leave it be for the rest of the day the next day i start teh car its cool and i try the beat it kinda hits and no battery stopage. was the first battery die outs just routine or do i need a capacitor or new battery? thanks for your help

·
Registered
831 Posts
IF you hooked up everything properly, it sounds like your battery is shot. Did you leave the doors and trunk open the whole time you were hooking up your equipment?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
From what I understand of your post, the battery probably just got drained from working on the car and then running the stereo with the car off. Maybe you didn't run the car long enough to fully recharge the battery after jumping it? Should be ok after charging the battery on a long drive.
Fully draining the battery does decrease it's useful life though. If you are still worried about it, take the battery to a car parts place to get it tested (most places do it for free).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
im no expert in electrical or audio, and maybe i dont have a clue what im talking about, but

a local shop said that amp isnt enough to power that sub. maybe that has something to do with it?

·
TX Dinan 3
835 Posts
dude...the w7 is power hungry..id recommend a cap, and dont cheat yourself by only getting a 1 ferrad..id do atleast 5...you stock alternator is weak enough before...now imagine all the strain thats getting placed on it

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
the amp not being powerful enough isn't what's causing your battery to die... but i think the recommended wattage for that sub is like 800w....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts