E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
330ci Coupe 6MT
1,920 Posts
I should have mentioned that my neighbor also has a laptop with all the Standard Tools. Since I don’t have an old Windows laptop laying around I figured it would be better to have the Nt530 so I could do almost everything with it and then only have to borrow his laptop for coding modules etc.
A used windows laptop off ebay to install INPA on would cost you less than a Foxwell but your call. FWIW I run mine on a battered old ThinkPad X230 tablet I picked up for £60.

A generic tool wouldn't need setting up though, so that could be an advantage I hadn't considered if you don't get on with computers.

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice progress so far! My last 330i/5 had the M-Tech 1 kit and it looked great. These are great cars when the suspension is all dialed in, it's a shame that so many of them drive poorly due to neglect.
Thanks! Suspension is next on my list. I’m thinking new shocks/struts and mounts all around as the next steps. I’ll probably be going with stock replacements.

A used windows laptop off ebay to install INPA on would cost you less than a Foxwell but your call. FWIW I run mine on a battered old ThinkPad X230 tablet I picked up for £60.

A generic tool wouldn't need setting up though, so that could be an advantage I hadn't considered if you don't get on with computers.
You’re right, I’m going to laptop route. It’s a little clunkier to have to use a laptop vs a little handheld unit but it seems worth it to be able to do literally everything on the car with one unit.

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Man am I glad I went with elfers advise and got a laptop with Standard Tools. After a few midnight laptop sessions I finally was able to get NCSEXPERT to flash the VIN to the ABS module. Then I had to battle Tool32 so I could calibrate the Steering Angle Sensor. Tool32 wouldn’t run any programs but after reading through a bunch of threads I found something about running Tool32 in admin mode which did the trick!

The brakes just didn’t want to bleed. I used INPA and a pressure bleeder a few times but was still getting what seemed like an inordinate amount of air from the rear brakes (spoiler alert: pretty sure it was normal for having the ABS Module out of the car).

I decided that if I was going to pull the MC and bench bleed it (like I should have done from the start), I might as well install a new MC.

FCP delivered the new MC right away and I got to work bench bleeding, after a few false starts trying to install the MC with the bleeding lines still in it, and then more false starts trying to install the lines from the ABS module to the MC after it was installed, I finally figured out that the best way forward was to bench bleed first, then install the hard lines on the MC after capping them and then install in the car.

Two nights ago I proceeded to cross thread the larger 12mm brake line in the ABS block being too hasty… luckily the control unit I bought on eBay came with a spare block and motor, unfortunately I was back to square one from a hardware installation standpoint.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive design Automotive exterior

I pulled everything back out and then assembled the new controller on the new block with the old motor. It took about 2 pressure bleeder rounds followed by three more with INPA and I finally restored the brake pedal feel!!! In retrospect I think the original MC was probably still okay but I’m glad it’s replaced since I think it was likely original.

Im so grateful for all the knowledge shared on this forum over the years. As a direct result, I was able to fumble my way through this complex task and eventually solve my problems.

On the test drive to my In-laws tonight, the brakes feel great and it was awesome to drive the car with zero error lights for the first time since I bought it!
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Gauge

I shipped off my GM5 to Scott today so I am very excited to have my central locking working as it should.

Once that is all buttoned up I’ll decide what’s next but I’m leaning towards shocks and struts.

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Been a while since my last update. The GM5 repair has made the locks work flawlessly. I ordered a new DS front window regulator since I’m getting the telltale pops and bangs when rolling that one up. I have a new FSR ready to go in since the fan speed sometimes has a kind of its own.

After that it’s probably CCV and oil leak fixin’ time.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The wagon and associated spare parts were picked up this week for its trip to the new owner in North Carolina.
Car Plant Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

I celebrated by replacing the FSR on the e46. No photos of that little project because it is impossible to see anything back up under the dash. It seems to have fixed my fan speed being all over the place from time to time.

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Great read! Thanks for sharing.
thank you! I like to document the work and I try to make it an interesting read.

I didn’t touch the car for like a week after replacing the FSR. Then I disappeared on a work trip for 10 more days. When I came back the battery was totally dead. I’m assuming I left a door open or running the fan to test the FSR with the engine off after leaving the passenger door open for hours was just too much. Oriellys was great about giving me a new battery but they said they might not be so nice next time which I understand.

Alright, had a few free evenings and decided to tackle the CCV. Glad I did because it was pretty crispy in there. I used the fcp kit and installed a bunch of new gaskets and o-rings while I was in there. It was a bit fiddly but all the videos out there make it pretty straightforward.
Automotive tire Audio equipment Motor vehicle Steering wheel Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

All the lines and the oil separator just crumbled as I moved them around. The main line off the valve cover wasn’t blocked but there was a lot of cooked oil coating the sides of it.

now I feel a lot better about doing the valve cover gasket. Having oil drip on the exhaust manifold every time I drive takes away some of the magic of the car. All the parts for that project are in the garage so I’ll probably tear into it wthrough the trouble of reinstalling all the engine covers and cabin air filter assembly.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

It’s hard to see but it’s super wet on the low side of the valve cover.

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No photos but the VCG was straightforward. I couldn’t see any cracks but the plastic did seem a little warped above the exhaust.

I decided to throw the new gasket in, snug up the boltsand see if that improved things.

We drove the car around yesterday morning and the oil leak the seems to be a lot better. I’ll keep monitoring it and replace the valve cover if needed.

Decided to dive into the window regulator this evening and got about half way through, should be all done tomorrow. Then I’ll need to figure out what to do next… probably shocks/struts or RTABs

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I got the window regulator almost all finished but I didn’t like how the glass was bolting in. Since I left the glass in the window when I did the regulator I never got a good look at the red clip or captive nuts.
I poked my head in the door with a flashlight and low and behold…
Wood Table Audio equipment Gadget Wood stain

Both plastic clips had a lot of play in them and one of the bolts must have been found in someone’s workshop and then ground down to “fit”. I have replacement parts on their way from FCP and I’m wondering if I would have even needed a new regulator if the previous mechanic had just ordered the right hardware from BMW.

The window will be a lot happier once I get th

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This evening I did a Liquimoly engine flush and then a quick oil change.

While I had the oil drained I replaced the oil level sensor. 2/3 times the yellow oil light would illuminate for a few seconds at start up. It also seemed to be leaking a ton of oil from the area. It was hard to tell if it was leaking from the sensor seal or higher up on the engine and dripping down.

the seal definitely looked shot upon removal:
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Fender

New Hella Sensor before it went in:

Hand Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Grille

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I decided to do another cosmetic improvement instead of tackling something hard. I’d tried polished the headlight lenses a few times but they still looked pretty bad. The upper seals were also completely fried.
Before:
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Grille Vehicle Hood

After:
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

I’ve almost reached the end of my stalling on doing real work. I’m asking Santa for a ZHP shift knob and new Roundels. In the new year I am doing RTABs, shocks and struts and also finding a local shop to do the clutch and a bunch of while-you’re-in-there’s

Attachments

· Registered
338 Posts
I’m recently purchasing a laptop for coding, as well. Excited to go that route. I’ll still use the Foxwell to check codes quickly, etc.

Love the progress in here. Good work!

And still loving those wheels. If I can find a set locally I might just snag them. I also need new grilles and headlight lenses too.

you get it all on FCP?

· Registered
2002 330i 5MT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I’m recently purchasing a laptop for coding, as well. Excited to go that route. I’ll still use the Foxwell to check codes quickly, etc.

Love the progress in here. Good work!

And still loving those wheels. If I can find a set locally I might just snag them. I also need new grilles and headlight lenses too.

you get it all on FCP?
Thank you, it’s been fun to work on it and even though it has a ton of miles it’s still a blast to drive. I like the wheels too but these specific examples could really use some refinishing.

yeah, I purchased all the lenses and grille from FCP.

· Registered
338 Posts
Thank you, it’s been fun to work on it and even though it has a ton of miles it’s still a blast to drive. I like the wheels too but these specific examples could really use some refinishing.

yeah, I purchased all the lenses and grille from FCP.
So could my wheels. 20 years on, yeah, they still shine up ok, but the curb rash from the PO is a bit much. They specialized in driving by braille as far as I can tell.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts