BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first installed my ASA FR1s and S-03s I noticed they "tracked" the texture of the road a little. They still have about half the tread left. Now they grab every imperfection on the road. Sometimes it's as if they are trying to pull the steering wheel out of my hands. They are 17X8X235/40 all around.

What causes this? Is it alignment?

TIA Pat

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Its called tramlining, and more common with very high performance tires like the S-03.

Having a bit too much negative camber in your alignment can make this worse . Even if the alignment is 'in spec', it could be at the far end of the spec. Next time you get an alignment done, you coud ask the tech to adjust the camber to the most positive setting that is still within spec, which should help, at least a little bit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Unfortunatley, ..43,000 miles sounds about right for new C/A's and bushings. Have your shop check them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
S-03's

The S-03's are famous for "tramlining."
That's all you're experiencing.
Barry

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll put my old M&Ss back on and if I notice it I'll have the frontend checked.

If I need repairs will the dealer fix it under warranty if I have UUC Sways on?

Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think so

Speedfreak said:
I'll put my old M&Ss back on and if I notice it I'll have the frontend checked.

You could also call The Tire rack and speak to their tech wizards.
They'll educate you about Tramlining.

If I need repairs will the dealer fix it under warranty if I have UUC Sways on?

Well, I had several mods on the 330Ci I just sold and BMW of
Fairfax continued to honor the warranty for the entire time I
owned the car.

Barry

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
932 Posts
My SO3s do the same thing, for a while I thought it was bad roads or all in my head. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I tramlined my whip right into a sewer grate.

Last weekend, through Delaware water gap (west bound on I-80 from NJ to PA) the first left on I-80 in PA, pulled my car to the berm then finished on with a nice BANG!!! I am pretty sure it was a sewer grate, but no visible damage, as I pulled off at the next stop.

Now I have a vibration at speeds >80mph. Not a constant vib, but it comes and goes with regularity. It repeats the cycle @ 80mph @ every 10 seconds. Faster at higher speeds.

Plan of action:
1) Put on winter tires/rims, test,see if any diff.
2) if no diff then take to dealer?

Gary, any thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts