E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Rims/Tire Combo for tracking

• Iforged Sprints with Hankook K104's and Sell OZ's?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I was thinking of tracking my car next summer and the local track has friday night 'secret street' which is just going out and running 1/4 mile runs and I was wondering what i should do for my setup.

I have my old rims, OZ Racing F1 Evos 18" with brand new Pirelli Pzero Nero's (less than 600 miles on them) and they are the summer ones ....non M+S, I was thinking of selling them but....

I have my new rims 19" Iforged Sprints with Hankook K104's on them and they are on the car right now but worried about wrecking them, plus the Hankook's don't have the stick the Pirelli's do.

Just wondering if I should keep the OZ's for the track or am I ok with the 19" Iforged? I wouldn't mind re-couping some of my money for the OZ's but worried about damaging my new bling rims. Any opinions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're not likely to hurt your rims (just a little dirt is all...that washes off..). The real question is how much do you want to spend in rubber burned up at the drag strip. If $$ are an issue, it's more cost effective to burn 18" tires at the track then 19"s; plus your 18" wheels are lighter...and that'll give you lower times...

omes said:
Hey all,

I was thinking of tracking my car next summer and the local track has friday night 'secret street' which is just going out and running 1/4 mile runs and I was wondering what i should do for my setup.

I have my old rims, OZ Racing F1 Evos 18" with brand new Pirelli Pzero Nero's (less than 600 miles on them) and they are the summer ones ....non M+S, I was thinking of selling them but....

I have my new rims 19" Iforged Sprints with Hankook K104's on them and they are on the car right now but worried about wrecking them, plus the Hankook's don't have the stick the Pirelli's do.

Just wondering if I should keep the OZ's for the track or am I ok with the 19" Iforged? I wouldn't mind re-couping some of my money for the OZ's but worried about damaging my new bling rims. Any opinions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
keep the 18's for the track and swap out the rubber for more track oriented shoes. you will have more choice in tires with 18" than 19" for sure and cheaper to boot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hmm, unless you have money to burn, you might want to just go to a few track events first and see how you like it. if it's something you end up doing a lot, then you can look into a set of track tires/wheels.

but if its a once or twice a year thing, you should be perfectly fine using what you have on your car right now. i use my street tires/rims on my e36 and e30.

because in the beginning, its more about having fun and learning how to drive well. youre not looking to shave off that much time yet or even timing laps.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XLR8R said:
don't you need a rollbar for the track? I assume youre taking the car that's in your sig...
I have talked to the local BMW club and there aren't any verts on the track right now, so they are going to look into it for me as my car does have rollover protection but worst case I have to put my hardtop on for tracking.

Thanks for all the info guys, I have decieded to keep my OZ Racing Rims (18's) with the Pirelli Pzero Neros (summers) just for tracking.

·
Über-Geek
889 Posts
most tracks require you to have a fixed roll bar installed in a vert to run... the pop up roll over protection and the removable hard top doesn't usually count.. just FYI..

~T|/\/\

1 - 9 of 9 Posts