E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 zhp manual sedan 58k miles

Anyone Notice a tire smell come from new tires?

particilarly from new pilot sport All Seasons?

I also am noticing a little sticky sound and light buzzing vibration on unsmooth freeway. Is it the stiff sidewalls or something?

Any one have any tips? is this like the breakin?

I wanted continental DSW's but there were out nation wide, i couldnt wait anymore....i blew out on the freeway..

im thinking i should return the tires and get something else... I had re040's before, the stock ones.

hmmmmf....

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just got ps AvS plus all seasons and no smell and a very quiet ride.sry not much help but hope you figure it out.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be discount tire over pressured them? Can that make them smell? Heat up? I love in washington.

Sent from my Nexus One using Bimmer App

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,762 Posts
Could it be discount tire over pressured them? Can that make them smell? Heat up? I love in washington.

Is this a burning smell? If so, make sure they're the correct size, as are your wheels, and that they're not rubbing on anything.

Check the tire pressure anyway...use the pressure listed on the door jamb.

Also, you sure it's your tires that smell? Maybe something by way of oil leaking on exhaust?

Inspect things carefully. Tires don't give off a new tire smell that I recall...I'm old, so I have a lot of experience, but not so old that I've forgotten all of it!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think most would agree that new tires definitely have a unique odor. The smell of a tire that is rubbing is very unique (stinky) as well. Could the noise possibly be the pieces of rubber on the shoulder of the new tires?...or your ears might be a bit hyper-sensitive with the newly installed tires. Either way, I'm jealous of your new llantas :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't thought of rubbing as I asked for the oem sizing for zhps

18/255/35
18/225/40

They definitely smell like tire. My car used to only do that when going up steep hills to visit friends, and I get out of the car. I'll party special attention to see if it smells like breaks, but when I take my snoz up to the tire, it does smell like burnt rubber....

But as for pressure, the paperwork at the register for the tire said 37, not sure of they looked at the door jams. I'll check all pressure.

arent dealers putting pilot sports on e46s? They said that is what they recommend, but they put the summers, not sure about all seasons.

Without trying to look around the fat back wheels, they look a little beffier than the oem potenzas.

I guess ill have discount tire lift it up and check?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
.... Arent OEM Zhp wheels 18 inch all the way around...

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Fresh rubber definitely has a distinct smell. I actually like that new rubber smell. :eeps:
It will fade away over time. If it smells like burning rubber or you see/hear signs of the tires rubbing then that is something you need to take care of. If the tires are actually the size you posted then rubbing shouldn't be an issue.

Definitely check your tire pressures. BMW specs 32 psi front and 38 psi rear. I personally prefer to run about 35-36 psi all around but that can vary by model of tire. A slightly lower pressure will result in a softer ride, more pressure a firmer ride. I wouldn't go below 32 psi though.

What exactly is a "sticky sound"? Have you checked your tread for some bubble gum that might be stuck in there? Seriously though, I've seen tire shops leave paper stickers stuck on the tread after they mount the tires. If there is something stuck on the tire perhaps you are hearing that each time it comes around and rubs the pavement?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts