E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running Style 197's 18 x 8 in the front and 18x 8.5 in the rear. The wheels came with 225/40-18 and 255/35-18 respectively.

It's time for new tires. Shall I keep the 255/35, or go to a 245/35 in the rear.

I'm also on the fence between the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+ or the ExtremeContact Sport. It never drives in snow

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
1,288 Posts
Running Style 197's 18 x 8 in the front and 18x 8.5 in the rear. The wheels came with 225/40-18 and 255/35-18 respectively.

It's time for new tires. Shall I keep the 255/35, or go to a 245/35 in the rear.

I'm also on the fence between the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+ or the ExtremeContact Sport. It never drives in snow

Thanks
Hard to answer without knowing what your criteria are in terms of size. What made you think about changing size?

Personally I think you will feel more difference between tire brand/model than the 10 mm in width.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tires came with the set of wheels. Now it's time to replace the tires, and the rears seem like a big tire for a stock 2.5L engine.

Hard to answer without knowing what your criteria are in terms of size. What made you think about changing size?

Personally I think you will feel more difference between tire brand/model than the 10 mm in width.

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
1,288 Posts
The tires came with the set of wheels. Now it's time to replace the tires, and the rears seem like a big tire for a stock 2.5L engine.
The contact patch between the tire and the road does not change much between different tire sizes. It's quite surprising. A wider tire will have a wider but shorter contact patch whereas a narrower tire will have a narrower but longer contact patch. The total area of the contact patch is not that different. Therefore, the HP of the engine really should not be the determining factor to choose 255 vs 245 tires. Now if you think visually you might like one or the other, that's something for you to decide.

As a side note, the wheel and tire sizes you states are BMW factory spec for a ZHP as that's what came with my car.

Good luck making your choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The contact patch between the tire and the road does not change much between different tire sizes. It's quite surprising. A wider tire will have a wider but shorter contact patch whereas a narrower tire will have a narrower but longer contact patch. The total area of the contact patch is not that different. Therefore, the HP of the engine really should not be the determining factor to choose 255 vs 245 tires. Now if you think visually you might like one or the other, that's something for you to decide.

As a side note, the wheel and tire sizes you states are BMW factory spec for a ZHP as that's what came with my car.

Good luck making your choice.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'll probably stick with the meaty look :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts