BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey tire experts, hopefully you can help me out here. I've got a sport package 330 with a square set of style 68 fronts (weird right?), all tires are 225/45-17 right now. I'm going to be getting new summers and just wanted to see what you guys would do for size. I'm not sure I can go any wider (to say a 245) with those square 68s. I plan on leaving the suspension stock. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 235/45/17 is the maximum approved tire width for a 17x7.5 wheel. Given the wheel dimensions, you shouldn't have any issues with that setup.

Thank you, I think I'll probably be going with those on my stock set of wheels, the 245s are too wide

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would double check that all for wheels are indeed fronts. It's possible to fit 225 tires on an 8.5" wheel so you could have a staggered wheel setup.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would double check that all for wheels are indeed fronts. It's possible to fit 225 tires on an 8.5" wheel so you could have a staggered wheel setup.

This is actually a really good point I didn't think of. I've pulled the tires off a couple times and sidewall angle 'seemed' consistent but I never checked the rim itself. I will do that tonight when I get back home.

Another thing I was wondering, given they are all fronts 17x7.5, what would be the drawbacks of running a 235? Obviously for the positives I'll have more grip. For negatives I'll have slightly worse mileage I would guess? Mainly I'm worrying about steering response and increase in feedback on things like crowned roads and rough pavement patches. I do a fair bit of highway driving so I do want to maintain good straight line tracking, not sure how significant 10mm of difference will make to that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have the same question and haven't really been able to find much info about running 235 45 17 on 17x7.5 wheels (the fronts of style 68). I see a lot of people running the 8.5 wheel width in a square setup, but not much use of 7.5 wheels square, except for winter wheels. I have all front style 68s (17x7.5), to run with summer tires. I don't drive the car on the track, but still appreciate good grip (safely) on the street. I also want stability on the highway, with no tramlining, etc. Would anyone recommend 235s over 225s on the 17x7.5 style 68 wheels?

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts