BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I got a BMW E46 330Ci SMG Facelifted 2003

Since i bought the car from the BMW dealershop the TPMS light was on (yellow) and they said it was cause the low profile tire etc.

I trusted them and ignored the yellow light on the dashboard.

Since i also got the car i have had some clutch revs (see my other treads) where i got the clutch replaced, gearbox changed, new oil, renovated the Slave, updated the ECU module with INPA to the latest verison etc.

I still got the problem with clutch revs and do still have the TPMS light on.

I placed it to a mechanic with some BMW skills and he explained me that the TMPS sensor could cause clutch slip/revs so i ended up getting new tires (front: 235/35/19 - Back: 255/30/19) and new aftermarket TPMS sensors

After i got the car back, the light was still on after he tried to reset it at the car dashboard.

My questions is:
- Is it enough just to press the TMPS button on the car dashboard?
- Do i need to reset or do anything with INPA?
- Is it fake or real that the clutch can do the clutch slip/revs when the light are on?

Hope that you can help me figure this out so that i can get this out of my head and get the problems located.

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
510 Posts
I would be using INPA to look for error codes associated with the TPMS light. I'm not familiar with the system enough to tell you which module to look in with INPA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be using INPA to look for error codes associated with the TPMS light. I'm not familiar with the system enough to tell you which module to look in with INPA.
Okay, i can try it out. It could just be good to know if the reset button is not doing the same as the INPA does?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
For SMG, the tranny controller does use the wheels speed to match rev the rpm for gear shifting. The TPMS also depends on the wheels speed differential to detect flat tire (smaller OD and turning faster then the other wheels). So, these two issue might be related. The computer should be relearned the new wheels (tires) diameter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressing and holding the button dose nothing? And the light has got nothing to do with the clutch
I can hold it down until it reset and the light turns off but comes back on after 10 minutes again.

When you buy some new TMPS sensors, is it enough just to press the reset button or do it needs to be coded with INPA or something else software?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For SMG, the tranny controller does use the wheels speed to match rev the rpm for gear shifting. The TPMS also depends on the wheels speed differential to detect flat tire (smaller OD and turning faster then the other wheels). So, these two issue might be related. The computer should be relearned the new wheels (tires) diameter.
Thank you for your answer - That was something i was looking for.

Do you know if this is also for the SSG/SMG I and not the SMG II

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,436 Posts
There are VERY FEW E46 in the USA with both SMG and TPMS. My knowledge is limited for such on the E46 chassis.

Aftermarket TPMS sensors can be problematic. The installing shop needs a tool to "clone" the new sensors to the old data so that the TPMS receiver (antenna under the car) can receive & interpret the data.
BMW (for once) has by far the simplest TPMS system on the market, imagine that!
Install 4 genuine (aftermarket OK) HuF sensors of the correct type. Inflate tires to pressure, reset the button and drive off. The system becomes active (aktiv) in less than 3 miles. Often in less than 1 Km.
Therefore we've never bothered with aftermarket sensors. Install OEM and drive off. It's just that simple.

From your description I don't think that your clutch is slipping, rather because of the interdependence of the SMG/DSC/DME I have to think since one part of the system isn't functioning correctly the DSC is commanding the DME to back off some?

Get the TPMS sensors to work correctly and I think your issues will be gone.

Have you tried to disable (long button hold) your DSC and see if the "slipping" sensation goes away?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are VERY FEW E46 in the USA with both SMG and TPMS. My knowledge is limited for such on the E46 chassis.

Aftermarket TPMS sensors can be problematic. The installing shop needs a tool to "clone" the new sensors to the old data so that the TPMS receiver (antenna under the car) can receive & interpret the data.
BMW (for once) has by far the simplest TPMS system on the market, imagine that!
Install 4 genuine (aftermarket OK) HuF sensors of the correct type. Inflate tires to pressure, reset the button and drive off. The system becomes active (aktiv) in less than 3 miles. Often in less than 1 Km.
Therefore we've never bothered with aftermarket sensors. Install OEM and drive off. It's just that simple.

From your description I don't think that your clutch is slipping, rather because of the interdependence of the SMG/DSC/DME I have to think since one part of the system isn't functioning correctly the DSC is commanding the DME to back off some?

Get the TPMS sensors to work correctly and I think your issues will be gone.

Have you tried to disable (long button hold) your DSC and see if the "slipping" sensation goes away?

Thank you for your reply!

So the mechanic maybe installed some crap sensors or didn't have the right equipment for the installation since the reset didn't help anything. (btw. i don't have contact to the mechanic anymore)

So should i just buy some new HuF sensors like you prefer?

I see that there is a lot of HuF sensors that are compatible with my car?
How to i order the right one for my BMW 330Ci SMG Convertible 2003 Facelifted?

They have a catatog right here: https://www.intellisens.com/fileadmin/redaktion_intellisens/download/huf_dl_application_guide_usa.pdf

Maybe you can help me here?

Another question, does the wheel size and tire size matter? Like right now when i am running on 255/30/19 rear & 235/35/19 front? Or should it work no matter what with the aftermarket sensors?

Hope to get an answer from you and thank you so far!! :thanks:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
PM me the last 7 of your VIN

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Yours was a difficult one. Your car is equipped with option # S265 Tire pressure control.

The sensors that were originally fitted to your car is # 36 11 8 378 682, changes to new number of 36 14 2 360 420.

The chart you attached (USA cars) shows a cross reference for the old part number (page # 22 bottom left, 4 up from the bottom)
36 11 8 378 682 cross> RDE002V21.

I cannot find a direct cross from RDE002V21 to a BMW part number. The sensor you need is shown on page 13, second one.
I think that the BMW number ending in 682 or 420 might work. Perhaps the number of 36 14 6 792 827 would work also?

The first number and the supersessions of that should work.
Keeping in mind the frequency of 433MHz.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BW51-EUR-05-2003-E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=36_0497

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yours was a difficult one. Your car is equipped with option # S265 Tire pressure control.

The sensors that were originally fitted to your car is # 36 11 8 378 682, changes to new number of 36 14 2 360 420.

The chart you attached (USA cars) shows a cross reference for the old part number (page # 22 bottom left, 4 up from the bottom)
36 11 8 378 682 cross> RDE002V21.

I cannot find a direct cross from RDE002V21 to a BMW part number. The sensor you need is shown on page 13, second one.
I think that the BMW number ending in 682 or 420 might work. Perhaps the number of 36 14 6 792 827 would work also?

The first number and the supersessions of that should work.
Keeping in mind the frequency of 433MHz.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BW51-EUR-05-2003-E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=36_0497

Hope this helps...
Hi again,

Thank you for investigate this! I did also find out to go with the RDE002V21 sensors and i have now ordered 4 pcs for 307 USD :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts