BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have finally decided to go with new set of wheels (BBS LM) that I found locally. I am trying to get some PS2's for these babies and my local tire store is giving me a killer deal (almost same as Tire Rack but only installed and balanced!).

The downside is that they only have my fronts (225/40ZR18) in load rating of 88 and rears (255/35ZR18's) in 94.

Tire shop is saying I would'nt notice a difference...but wanted to run by the experts here. Would be I be ok in terms of handling and tread usage with the load rating mismatch of 88 @ the front and 94 @ the rears with my ZHP?

As always, any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tire advise needed! Load rating mismatch with Micheling PS2's Ok?

So I have finally decided to go with new set of wheels (BBS LM) that I found locally. I am trying to get some PS2's for these babies and my local tire store is giving me a killer deal (almost same as Tire Rack but only installed and balanced!).

The downside is that they only have my fronts (225/40ZR18) in load rating of 88 and rears (255/35ZR18's) in 94.

Tire shop is saying I would'nt notice a difference...but wanted to run by the experts here. Would be I be ok in terms of handling and tread usage with the load rating mismatch of 88 @ the front and 94 @ the rears with my ZHP?

As always, any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I know it comes with the staggered setup (i.e. diff load rating) but last time I had put on 92Y on the front and 94Y in the rear so diff was negligible but now at 88 at the front I was wondering how the car will behave since it will be more stiff at the rear and less on the front. Also, 88Y is minimum for the front and I have always been 92Y at the front so wanted to make sure not tread wear or performance penalty will come into play with this setup i am planning.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
The only thing that concerns me here is the "killer deal" combined with the 88 LR. Where are you getting PS2s with an 88 LR on 225/40R18? My PS2s are 92Y in that size and is also what Tire Rack lists in their specs. Either someone gave you the wrong load rating or the tire isn't a PS2. The older Pilot Sport has an 88 rating, maybe the fronts are PS and the rear PS2? There may be nothing wrong with that setup but I, personally, like to run the same tire all around (staggered is fine though).

I guess my point is that you need to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing that concerns me here is the "killer deal" combined with the 88 LR. Where are you getting PS2s with an 88 LR on 225/40R18? My PS2s are 92Y in that size and is also what Tire Rack lists in their specs. Either someone gave you the wrong load rating or the tire isn't a PS2. The older Pilot Sport has an 88 rating, maybe the fronts are PS and the rear PS2? There may be nothing wrong with that setup but I, personally, like to run the same tire all around (staggered is fine though).

I guess my point is that you need to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.
Thanks good point. I just check with michelin.com and noticed PS2 is only listed as 92Y. Called the tire dealer (Active Green And Ross) and was told that it is indeed a PS2 with 88 LR. I made sure that Tires are PS2's and new and not just sitting somewhere for a while and he said he ordered it directly from Michelin.

I think its winter tire bonanza for tire dealers up north so they are giving me a sweet deal.

I guess I was concerned with 88 front and 94 rear because never had that setup before and I know the diff will be minute but when I am paying top dollar for top of the line tire I might as well get it bang on!

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
as long as they have similar tread patterns it's not an incredible hindrance, i.e. PS2 is asymmetrical, do not mix with GS-D3's, mix with pirelli's.

·
Banned
6,701 Posts
Check the date on those tires too. The part about them giving you a killer deal makes me raise a brow. For all you know the tires are 4-5 years old, and they're trying to dump them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Check the date on those tires too. The part about them giving you a killer deal makes me raise a brow. For all you know the tires are 4-5 years old, and they're trying to dump them.
Yes definately be checking the date. Regardless unless they have DOM on them stating somewhere June to Sept 08 probably not gonna get them.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts