BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 330Ci. Oxford Green over Beige. 5-spd
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i keep having the same damn problem where id fill my driver side tire up with air and by the next day it is almost completely gone. Down to maybe 10 psi?

This is the second tire and rim that has done this so I'm leaning towards some sort of suspension issue?

I know i need a new control arm bushing cause when i hit the breaks to sudden i can feel that wheel jerk a bit. Can this be the cause?

Also i am looking to get either the Meyle HD front control arm and bushing kit or the viaco i think it is? Anyone know if that brand viaco is any good?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Unless something in the suspension is so horrifically worn out that it wears and punctures the tire I don't think that's the cause. If it's completely different wheels and tires, it's either somebody screwing with you or just bad luck. Pull the wheel off, fill it to 35-40psi, and spray it with soapy water to find out where you're losing air. It could be anywhere so don't just spray the tread; it could be the bead, a tiny crack in the wheel itself, or the valve stem too. If you can't find anything and it only loses pressure overnight, it might be time to grab a shovel and hide in some bushes to see who comes by to mess with your car...

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
Hey guys i keep having the same damn problem where id fill my driver side tire up with air and by the next day it is almost completely gone. Down to maybe 10 psi?

This is the second tire and rim that has done this so I'm leaning towards some sort of suspension issue?

I know i need a new control arm bushing cause when i hit the breaks to sudden i can feel that wheel jerk a bit. Can this be the cause?

Also i am looking to get either the Meyle HD front control arm and bushing kit or the viaco i think it is? Anyone know if that brand viaco is any good?

NOT a suspension issue. Absolutely not a suspension issue. You have tires with holes in them. Go to a tire shop, they will put the tires into a tub of water and look for bubbles, they do this for free.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Best DIY check for this is some variance of everyone's suggestions. I normally recommend taking the wheel off and covering with soapy water. The soap allows you to see bubbles forming around where air is coming out. Also, don't forget that the tire may also be the source of the leak. Carefully check the tread for any punctures or possible leaks and use soapy water as needed.

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
I suggest pull the wheel, check thread area visually first for any metal or punctures (easier to see visually before the tire gets wet), fill the tire up to 35 PST, then check the bead area on each side of the wheel by laying the wheel flat and pouring water around the bead and looking for bubbles.

Simple and easy to rule out the obvious first, then check the value valve stem buy filling up the end of the valve stem. If you have not found anything, you then need to check the tread area very carefully with soapy water and/or a tire tub.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,095 Posts
I suggest pull the wheel, check thread area visually first for any metal or punctures (easier to see visually before the tire gets wet), fill the tire up to 35 PST, then check the bead area on each side of the wheel by laying the wheel flat and pouring water around the bead and looking for bubbles.

Simple and easy to rule out the obvious first, then check the value valve stem buy filling up the end of the valve stem. If you have not found anything, you then need to check the tread area very carefully with soapy water and/or a tire tub.
^^^Perfect advice!^^^

Follow these steps in the order given and the mystery will be solved.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much for the advice!! Will try the soap trick or just take it real quick to a tire shop and get back to you guys for a result.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
You can put some water in your bath tub and then put the tire in and roll it around slowly and watch for air bubbles. This wreaks of fixing the transmission in the living room and your wife may object, but it works. You should take the tires off of the car before you put them into the bath tub.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Honestly when I had the crack it was extremely easy to find. Like that video, It was on the rear facing lip, just like the video. While I did have it patched and repaired (OEM ZHP wheel) I ended up leaving it off of the car. May be time for new wheels. Or one new wheel anyway.

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Honestly when I had the crack it was extremely easy to find. Like that video, It was on the rear facing lip, just like the video. While I did have it patched and repaired (OEM ZHP wheel) I ended up leaving it off of the car. May be time for new wheels. Or one new wheel anyway.
Yep, the cracks are easy to find when you know what to look for and are careful about physical inspection.

Also a crack may even mean the wheel may be bent and/or took a hard impact at some point. Not unusual for aluminum alloy wheels to crack on the inner wheel lip. I have talked to a good tire tech they is very through and he said Mercedes seems to have the biggest number of cracked wheels he sees, then BMW tends to be next in line.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soo.. I forgot to metion there is a plug on the tire wall.. Used a patch and some rubber cement to cover it and seal the air leaking from out around the plug.

Getting two new tires in the front next weekend so hopefully this holds off.

Also plan on getting my style 44s refurbished.

Cant wait!

·
Registered
26,305 Posts
I don't believe you can plug a hole in the wall...and shops won't plug unless it's away from the edge of the wall by some distance. That, or check your radio. Is it working right? I know we've had some weird issues with that leading to air loss. Still haven't figured out why, but many with flat tires seem to have broken radios too. (dmax: finding connections where none exist)

You 'should' get new tires...and I'd probably save your wheel refurbishment money and spend it on something useful...unless your rims are cracked...which they probably aren't. If they were, I think you'd be losing air right away.

hth...sorry for my sarcastic remarks. I'm obnoxious early in the a.m., also after 3 p.m.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lmao i know i know....

I ended up getting 2 new tires up front! But guess what?! I still couldn't put a new tire on my original style 44 because it has a f****** crack in it!!!!

Fml.. They quoted me 150 for the crack repair.

Riding around on my spare with a new tire... Shits lame. Lol

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
Holy crap!

Epic fail. Holes in the tires that are plugged with rubber cement that you forgot to mention. Now we learn that the rim is cracked.

Dude, you have suspension issues. You should start by replacing all of the lower control arms. To avoid taking the tires off yet again, you should replace the brakes while you are there. Surely the lower control arms and old brakes cause the tires to leak.

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Dude, you have suspension issues. You should start by replacing all of the lower control arms. To avoid taking the tires off yet again, you should replace the brakes while you are there. Surely the lower control arms and old brakes cause the tires to leak.
????????????????????????????:hmm:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts