BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a tiptronic. i am thinking about adding a manual shift knob but i also want to add the manual shifter boot does anyone know if the tip and manual shift boots are interchangable and the serial number for that part in black and how much it will cost. thnx

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
BobbyBimmer said:
"even cheesier than getting a slush box in the first place". pretty high and mighty from a guy driving a family station wagon, lol
If the point of a BMW is driving pleasure, and you need to carry a lot of **** in it, then yes, wagons are great.

Par example: I wouldn't have been able to get my projector if I'd bought a sedan. The shipping case for it is 2'x3'x4'.

It all depends on your priorities. But when you have a slushbox, driving pleasure is most likely NOT all that high on your list.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It all depends on your priorities. But when you have a slushbox, driving pleasure is most likely NOT all that high on your list.
I disagree. I never owned a BMW before I bought this one, and although I wanted an auto, I totally love the steptronic. I feel like it gives me the freedom to either control the car totally, or put it on auto and cruise. My other car is a stick, and I enjoy driving the BMW MUCH MUCH more!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
...But when you have a slushbox, driving pleasure is most likely NOT all that high on your list.
It's all about compromise, isn't it? You needed the utility of a wagon and you were willing to sacrifice some weight penalty and the option of getting a bigger engine. I'm sure some enthusiasts chose Step b/c of bad traffic, sharing a car w/ spouse, leg injury, etc. Let's not assume too much already. We all know "assume" makes an a..................

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
BMW DOES NOT MAKE TIPTRONIC, LEARN your car first :mad: :rolleyes:

·
Town Clown
15,001 Posts
Jspeed said:

It's all about compromise, isn't it? You needed the utility of a wagon and you were willing to sacrifice some weight penalty and the option of getting a bigger engine. I'm sure some enthusiasts chose Step b/c of bad traffic, sharing a car w/ spouse, leg injury, etc. Let's not assume too much already. We all know "assume" makes an a..................
Amen to that......it's funny when people mistake their personal opinions for fact.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You know a lot of the fastest cars in the world are automatic! (Drag cars)...and I don't think you could say than any AMG Built Mercedes would lack driving pleasure...i'll take a CLK55 AMG or an E55 AMG with an auto tranny everyday of the week!

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
TheDream21479 said:
You know a lot of the fastest cars in the world are automatic! (Drag cars)...and I don't think you could say than any AMG Built Mercedes would lack driving pleasure...i'll take a CLK55 AMG or an E55 AMG with an auto tranny everyday of the week!
For a specific purpose sure. But who the hell wants to drive a car with a stall limiter set to 4K+ RPMs regularly? That's what some slushie WRX drivers are doing.

And actually, I can say, and from a couple thousand miles of personal experience, that AMG Mercedes are not all that much fun.

I still say that getting an automatic BMW is not a DRIVING enthusiast's move. The POINT of my post, however, is that it is INCREDIBLY CHEESY to put a MANUAL shift knob and boot on your AUTO knob. People who do that are making my point for me.

·
Euro.Techniks
4,149 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

For a specific purpose sure. But who the hell wants to drive a car with a stall limiter set to 4K+ RPMs regularly? That's what some slushie WRX drivers are doing.

And actually, I can say, and from a couple thousand miles of personal experience, that AMG Mercedes are not all that much fun.

I still say that getting an automatic BMW is not a DRIVING enthusiast's move. The POINT of my post, however, is that it is INCREDIBLY CHEESY to put a MANUAL shift knob and boot on your AUTO knob. People who do that are making my point for me.
whateva bro :flipoff: everyone is different

1 - 19 of 19 Posts