BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my Hamann rep splitter :excited:
Anyone have tips for DIY install???? The splitter is about an inch thick where it mounts to the bumper. Are there any body screws that are that long???? another issue is that the area of the splitter I have to drill through to mount to the bumper is hollow and the material is very thin. When I tighten the screws or bolts, they will crack the splitter material .

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Where did you buy it from? Mine is screwed to the bumper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
screw or bolt? I got it fromn Khoalty last week. They had a batch come in and I jumped on one. They should have more coming in about 2-3 weeks according to them.
Just saw those today, definitely gonna pick one up, at that price it's a steal!

I wonder if you could get it to stay on with 3m double sided tape all over the contact surfaces. just make sure you clean the hell out of your bumper first. (Never actually done this, but id say it is a nicer alternative to drilling holes in your bumper, especially if you're lowered and you hit something. That way bumper stays on if splitter comes off..) :dunno:

found this.. http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=312359

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just saw those today, definitely gonna pick one up, at that price it's a steal!

I wonder if you could get it to stay on with 3m double sided tape all over the contact surfaces. just make sure you clean the hell out of your bumper first. (Never actually done this, but id say it is a nicer alternative to drilling holes in your bumper, especially if you're lowered and you hit something. That way bumper stays on if splitter comes off..) :dunno:

found this.. http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=312359
I wouldnt call it a steal :rofl: it looks like they are out of stock and you will have to wait till 11/20/11. Better keep an eye out and jump on one because this first batch went FAST.

Even though the splitter is pretty darn light, I dont think 3M tape will work. It might work for a day or two, but not for the long term. I thought about using the adhesive that they use to stick spoilers and stuff onto the car body, but I dont want it that permanent.

That link you gave was great and gets me thinking about options. Thanks :thumbsup: The area inside the spoiler where you have to mount to the bumper is actually hollow, so my plan is first to inject foam into it to make it more rigid. Then I am going to drill all the way through. I dont really care about bolts or screw heads on the bottom since you wont be able to see them.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I wouldnt call it a steal :rofl: it looks like they are out of stock and you will have to wait till 11/20/11. Better keep an eye out and jump on one because this first batch went FAST.

Even though the splitter is pretty darn light, I dont think 3M tape will work. It might work for a day or two, but not for the long term. I thought about using the adhesive that they use to stick spoilers and stuff onto the car body, but I dont want it that permanent.

That link you gave was great and gets me thinking about options. Thanks :thumbsup: The area inside the spoiler where you have to mount to the bumper is actually hollow, so my plan is first to inject foam into it to make it more rigid. Then I am going to drill all the way through. I dont really care about bolts or screw heads on the bottom since you wont be able to see them.
interested in seeing how filling it with foam turns out. ive gone through 2 hamann lips already so hopefully this'll make it last longer.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
interested in seeing how filling it with foam turns out. ive gone through 2 hamann lips already so hopefully this'll make it last longer.
Didnt work out well! I used "Great Stuff" which needs humidity/water to foam and cure. Long story short, there is not enough humidity in the splitter once you inject it in because it is not exposed to the air, so the curing/hardening reaction is VERY SLOW. I basically had the stuff foaming back out the two holes that I drilled :facepalm:

Im just going to reinforce the bottom of the splitter with thin plexiglass where it screws up to the bumper .

·
Registered
973 Posts
Didnt work out well! I used "Great Stuff" which needs humidity/water to foam and cure. Long story short, there is not enough humidity in the splitter once you inject it in because it is not exposed to the air, so the curing/hardening reaction is VERY SLOW. I basically had the stuff foaming back out the two holes that I drilled :facepalm:

Im just going to reinforce the bottom of the splitter with thin plexiglass where it screws up to the bumper .
correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just run the screws/bolts up through the foam anyway? This stuff does expand a lot after you spray it, keep that in mind. I know that stuff gets pretty hard but you should be able to run a screw up through it. That would also give you more stability too. Did you let it cure the entire way?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just run the screws/bolts up through the foam anyway? This stuff does expand a lot after you spray it, keep that in mind. I know that stuff gets pretty hard but you should be able to run a screw up through it. That would also give you more stability too. Did you let it cure the entire way?
I'll see when I get home tonight. I know the stuff gets hard afterwards. My original thinking was to let it set to provide a rigid center and drill right through. Unfortunately they have the foam formulated to require a LOT more humidity/water than I expected. PU foam sets by reaction with water (vapors). In the confined area of the splitter, there just isn't enoough water to get the job done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts