E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
auto parts genius
14,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
No the hubs to not come with any dust caps or collars. You'll need to buy new ones because you'll destroy the dust cap getting it off probably. The collar on mine was dirty so it was replaced, though I guess you COULD forgo that part.

·
Registered
181 Posts
it would not, you do have different front bearings than these.

On a side note, I have these bearings, I put them on last year, but the winter(and several track days) killed the front left one. The failure is at least partly on me as I didnt clean out the snow from inside my rim very well before going out on the highway and the weight imbalance killed it. On the plus side, this bearing has a 3 year warranty from Autozone, so the replacement was free.

Given the ease of the warranty claim(literally just walk into the store with the busted one and they will hand you a new one, takes ~5 minutes), I have no qualms recommending these despite the failure of mine as they are 1/4 the price of the OEM part with 3x the warranty.

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
auto parts genius
14,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
What? These are not the same. Top is Duralast, bottom is F.A.G.

Head over to your friendly Autozone, tell em your car and ask for the Timkin front bearing. You're looking for one that appears like the lower image. You may also open and find a KOYO bearing hub, which is still great.
Are you guys buying the Duralast or Moog hubs? Moog bearings were unmarked - just bought some last weekend, came with 3 year warranty.
It looks like the link changed and gets redirected to the Moog hub now. That link, when I replied two years ago, went to the TIMKEN hub. Now this is what appears on their site.

We were all buying the Timken hub. I do not know what's in the Moog box. It may be the same situation as the Timken where it's a Koyo or F.A.G. hub in a Moog box. We should have someone verify because it looks like Timken is not available anymore.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It looks like the link changed and gets redirected to the Moog hub now. That link, when I replied two years ago, went to the TIMKEN hub. Now this is what appears on their site.

We were all buying the Timken hub. I do not know what's in the Moog box. It may be the same situation as the Timken where it's a Koyo or F.A.G. hub in a Moog box. We should have someone verify because it looks like Timken is not available anymore.
When I inspected the Moog hubs last weekend, I thought the bearings were completely unmarked. I have two more being shipped from Autozone on the way, I'll update with pictures. I also grabbed Duralast rear bearings so I could check who the manufacturer is.

·
auto parts genius
14,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
When I inspected the Moog hubs last weekend, I thought the bearings were completely unmarked. I have two more being shipped from Autozone on the way, I'll update with pictures. I also grabbed Duralast rear bearings so I could check who the manufacturer is.
The Duralast bearings all have no markings on them. I had one in my left rear wheel hub for a while after I busted a F.A.G. bearing on install. It seemed to work okay.

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
What's your opinion on them?
I'm really not sure, but both look solid. The fronts were so easy to replace with the right tools (4ft steel pipe, 2-jaw puller, 1-13/16 SAE socket), that combined with the 3-year warranty (walk into every Auto Zone and get a new one), I see no issues using them.

How many miles have you put on the rear Duralasts? Looking at pictures of the OEM rears, they are stamped F.A.G. GERMANY, which you can get at autohausaz for $42.94 per bearing - I may go this route, simply because the rears are more involved to replace.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.