E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
auto parts genius
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update May 10, 2016

More bad news. It appears Timken is still not available and the Moog hub has doubled in price.

UPDATE October 21, 2015

Unfortunately, this is the situation on the AutoZone site:

It looks like the Timken hub is no longer stocked. We need someone to go research the Moog hub to see if it is the same deal!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BEGIN ORIGINAL POST

I am making this thread to report my findings on the Timken front wheel bearing/hub sold by AutoZone for ~$50. This is about half the price of OEM parts from any other retailer. The AZ part number is 513125. Do not get the Duralast part. I examined one and it sucked.

AZ Part 513125

TO BE CLEAR:

TIMKEN IS SELLING OEM HUBS IN THEIR PACKAGING.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT LOOKING ELSEWHERE THIS IS THE BEST DEAL ON BEARINGS YOU CAN GET.

I went to two separate AZ stores. Each had one hub in stock. As you can see, they are Timken boxed, but one is F.A.G. (OEM) and the other is Koyo (Japanese). I am fine with putting either of these brands on my car.

My visual exam of the parts leads me to believe that the Koyo part is higher quality. The tooling marks are much more fine and the bearing feels better constructed. The F.A.G. looks like it was spun too fast in the lathe when they cut it and caused that discoloration you see. If it's a heat treatment, then it might be a good thing.

UPDATE:

unevolved has some insights on the discoloration that I hadn't considered.

That discoloration looks like it's from an inductive heater. Probably used when the bearings were installed.
That would make some sense but then why didn't Koyo's part do that?
Different alloy, different process, could be a number of things. They could just be freezing the bearing with liquid N2 and having good luck pressing them in.
KOYO BEARING PICTURES:

F.A.G. BEARING PICTURES:

·
auto parts genius
14,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not concerned with the discoloration in terms of how good the actual part is, it just seems odd. The bearing is what makes me want the Koyo more. It just feels like it was made better. The seals are more robust. The one you show is definitely F.A.G.

·
Registered
29,523 Posts
I'm not concerned with the discoloration in terms of how good the actual part is, it just seems odd. The bearing is what makes me want the Koyo more. It just feels like it was made better. The seals are more robust. The one you show is definitely F.A.G.
eh i dunno. if i see that BMW product has that coloration, it would make me feel odd if it didn't have it. odd feeling aside, i wouldn't hesitate to use either as you say.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Any report after driving

Sent from my LG-MS870 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just ordered them, no shops near me. Wrt it in stock

Sent from my LG-MS870 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Had them for 1,000 miles now. No problem. I actually like them over F A G as well. They are standard bearings on a lot of Foreign Cars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't think of what it would be. What other bearings do we replace on this car other than the CSB and wheel bearings?
Belt idler bearings are made by INA. Then there's the clutch throw-out and pilot bearings. Depending on the market, OEM rear wheel bearings on the E39 were either SKF or Koyo.

I prefer any of the Japanese bearing makers and SKF and haven't been impressed by Schaeffler Group bearings (INA & ***).

·
Registered
679 Posts
That discoloration looks like it's from an inductive heater. Probably used when the bearings were installed.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Different alloy, different process, could be a number of things. They could just be freezing the bearing with liquid N2 and having good luck pressing them in.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.