BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i had recently rebuilt the vanos unit on my e46 m3. New seals, oil disc, exhaust hub, chain guide. as i was putting it back together i ran into issues. i followed procedure correctly tightened hubs down, with the cams aligned and the vanos unit on. Then tried to turn the crank by hand which did move for a few degrees then comes to a solid hault. Interference from the valves is what it feels like. I believe i messed up the timing correlation between the with crank and the cams. how do i retime both? if anyone knows what i am talking about please lmk asap thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You messed up the timing. You are right about interference from valve. The exact same thing happened to me too. If you don't have it, get the timing tool and follow one of the procedures to adjust your timing. It's easy, just don't buy the cheap tools, go with BMW genuine.

Did you by any chance do your valve adjustment while working on the vanos?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
hello i had recently rebuilt the vanos unit on my e46 m3. New seals, oil disc, exhaust hub, chain guide. as i was putting it back together i ran into issues. i followed procedure correctly tightened hubs down, with the cams aligned and the vanos unit on. Then tried to turn the crank by hand which did move for a few degrees then comes to a solid hault. Interference from the valves is what it feels like. I believe i messed up the timing correlation between the with crank and the cams. how do i retime both? if anyone knows what i am talking about please lmk asap thanks
More detail to get a better answer. How did you align the cams?

I had done this without any special tools; just a carpenter square and correct size drill bit in the cam timing hole. I wrote this on the M3 forum but it was down since early this year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i followed the beisan systems procedure. i have the camshaft alignment tool from bmw genuine. no i did not do a valve adjustment though i was planning on doing it after replacing the vanos. thats what ive been doing i lock the crank by placing the pin through the hole in the damper so that the needle lines up on the "I" in "OIT". i then align both camshafts with tool and dowel, spin both both hubs clockwise so that the vanos splines can slide in, mount the vanos unit tighten the hub bolts and proceed to turn the crank a full rotation but it locks after a few turns

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had put a 24mm wrench on the cams when the hub wasnt tighten down and spun them multiple passes (spinning freely from the crank) can this damage valves??

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
You spin the cams a few turns with crank set at TDC? This should cause valves hitting pistons.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
When you turned the hubs CW, the splines shaft should slide out (forward), not slide into the hub.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
You just cannot mount the vanos and bolted it down in one step. More detail again. I think here is your problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't think you are quite following Beisan procedure, because some of the stuff you are describing seems out of place/out of order.

Can you reverse some of the steps (possibly need to rotate the crank ccw) to get it back to starting point? I'm assuming when you say turned a few times, you dont actually spin the engine several revolutions, just a few times the 24mm fits on the cam to rotate it maybe 45 degrees 3 times?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
i had put a 24mm wrench on the cams when the hub wasnt tighten down and spun them multiple passes (spinning freely from the crank) can this damage valves??
multiple passes = multiple revolutions?
If they were turned one revolution then for sure valves were bent. Try to describe clearly again for us to effectively help you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do you think i can speak with you over the phone that way i can explain this situation better

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with the vanos unit off and the exhaust and intake hub bolts hand loose the engine doesnt want to crank by hand it locks up before completing full rotation

·
Registered
381 Posts
with the vanos unit off and the exhaust and intake hub bolts hand loose the engine doesnt want to crank by hand it locks up before completing full rotation
Obviously that will happen. Vanos unit on and hub bolts tight after using the timing bridge, ensures that cams and crank turn together so that pistons and valves dont hit...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 103 Posts