E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M54 3L Engine (STOCK bottom end: block, rods, pistons, crank) = $500 used

M54 6 Pauter Connecting 4340 Billet rods 500g each = $950 new

M54 6 Custom 84mm Ross pistons 8.75:1 compression ratio = $750 new

M54 Schrick cams 248’ intake 248’ exhaust = $1000 new

M54 Rennsport Sport ported and polished head (incl. Stock
valve springs and valves) = $800 new rebuild

Tools required to properly setup Dual Vanos cams (Part#’s:
113-240, 116-180, 116-150) = $450 new total

UUC Stage 2 Lightweight flywheel and SPEC stage 3 clutch
(incl. Clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing) = $1100 new

UUC OG Dual exhaust for 325/330 w/ UUC resonator = $300 used

HKS Fuel Cut Defender (universal) = $100 new

B.E.G.i. Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator Model#2025 = $200 new

3.46 KAAZ LSD w/ finned diff cover (2000 miles on it) = $1000 used

Spearco intercooler (core size is 3”deep X 6”tall X 22”long, and
with end tanks it’s 28” long with 2.5” inlet/outlets) (2 available) = $175 each new

AA Rotrex S/C SP30-94 w/ 95mm pulley, Rotrex gear oil and
E36 mounting bracket = $750 new

Ignition Solutions Coils = $300 used

GreenFilters Cotton Air filter for 3” opening or 330 MAF w/ bottle
of oil = $50 new

Rogue Power Pulleys = $100 used

330 MAF (2 available) = $75 each used

323/325/328 MAF (2 available) = $25 each used

That's $4000 for the first five items, basically a bulletproof bottom end with high flow head and cams for supercharging. I'ld like to see that group go to a single buyer with the time and money to get it setup for a real s/c screamer, if one person buys the first 5 parts, the $450 tools go with it for NOTHING!! :yikes:

This is a serious feeler, I'm reducing parts cost significantly, PM if you're interested, low balling gets you no where :shhh:

·
Para-Magic
652 Posts
flywheel.

i guess the answer is probably no, but do you have a stock flywheel for sale?

·
Help me Help you!
936 Posts
Bill,

If i get the m54 3L block and
the 3L MAF, would that be pretty much at
stock 3.0 power? and would that be all i would need to
do a conversion short of an engine swap?

thanks and best of luck with the sale.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, don't have a stock one, why would you want one? Somebody on this board has had to have done a ltw flywheel upgrade and would be selling there old one if they didn't throw it away :)

bmwerkes said:
i guess the answer is probably no, but do you have a stock flywheel for sale?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I have is the stock lower end 3L, I don't have a stock head to go with, so you would have to reuse yours, I think the M54 3L might be a little more aggressive on the profile vs. the 323/325/328....like a little more than the other engines, and not as much as the ZHP, so I would guess you would loose a little hp there, I think the intake manifold is a bit shorter in the runner length for better hp, but that wouldn't effect it much, and the throttle body is bigger (as well as the MAF like you already said), I think you would have something between the 328 and the 330 hp range because of the differences if all you swapped out is the crank, rods, and pistons. All that could be done from the bottom of the engine, but getting the rings on the pistons up into the block via the bottom, would be a slight pain in the ass...just don't know if it would be any less a pain in the ass as taking off the cylinder head and the Dual Vanos. Just buy the rods, pistons, head and cams man!! You'ld make more power than a lightly modded 330 and with the low compression, you could run low grade gas without ping issues :) And bolt up the s/c or turbo later, and boost the piss out of it!! Anyways, take it easy :hi:

itchyNscratchy said:
Bill,

If i get the m54 3L block and
the 3L MAF, would that be pretty much at
stock 3.0 power? and would that be all i would need to
do a conversion short of an engine swap?

thanks and best of luck with the sale.

·
Registered
0 Posts
what kind of gains can i expect out of :

with end tanks it’s 28” long with 2.5” inlet/outlets) (2 available) = $175 each new
+

Would they fit my 2001 325ci?
-andrew

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought you were the same guy asking me these questions in PM :)

Anyways, first, are you supercharged? It's not listed in your mod list on your sig, that's why I ask. If you're already running a s/c and you're asking about the intercooler, I'll assume you have the ESS s/c, and here's a little rundown of what would be needed to an intercooler in place. First, I bought the dimension i/c because I have the tornado bumper, it fit in the mouth really well, for the M3 type bumper you have, I would guess it would have a inch or two on top and bottom, and the end tanks would go past your M3 mouth on the left and right side, so it would work, but not all of the i/c would be exposed, but I'ld guess it to work just as well as the ones you see the ASA/AA kits, the two I have are bigger units, but they wouldn't have the entire unit exposed to air, would probably equal out. The i/c I have, have no mounting bracketry mounted to them, which is good, since you don't know (neither do I) how high or low the thing needs to sit in the M3 mouth. Any shop should be able to get it centered and a pair of mounting brackets to hold it in place. Then you've got to get the tubing done, again, not a expensive venture, just going to take some decent thought about how and where to run the tubing so it doesn't get rubbed up on by a pulley or something. And with the extra length and the resistance added to the air flow by the bar/plate i/c, you'll probably want to get a slightly smaller pulley to make the same if not just a little bit more boost than you are at now, adding the i/c and watching the boost gauge, you'ld probably see a 1-1.5lb drop in pressure if you're measuring at the manifold. But the i/c cures a host of other problems too, like heat soak and predetonation, increases your air volume and make more power from the same kit.

Now, for the coils, this is icing on the cake, not a necessity, but would help out with a supercharged car. I also told the other curious party that I would get the Denso iridium plugs (although at $60 for a set of six, most people won't) to go with the coils to get a truly hot and consistant spark for a supercharged car. It's overkill on a N/A car, but even my lowly 323 N/A motor saw a improved idle, and I swear, atleast psycologically, it improved acceleration...or atleast my wallet saw some kind of improved acceleration, but I know the idle smoothed out :)

sniper321 said:
what kind of gains can i expect out of :

+

Would they fit my 2001 325ci?
-andrew

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks man, I'll be sad to see her go, but trying to scrounge together money to get all the parts I want to complete this engine, this damn thing is going to take a couple more years, so piss on it. Family comes first you know, and I hate to see all that stuff sitting in my garage for who knows how long before I can ever do anything with it. Thanks again :thumbup:

m3on20z said:
Bro, Your selling your car?..:cry:..One of my favorite 323's...:bow:

·
Help me Help you!
936 Posts
BMWDon said:
What I have is the stock lower end 3L, I don't have a stock head to go with, so you would have to reuse yours, I think the M54 3L might be a little more aggressive on the profile vs. the 323/325/328....like a little more than the other engines, and not as much as the ZHP, so I would guess you would loose a little hp there, I think the intake manifold is a bit shorter in the runner length for better hp, but that wouldn't effect it much, and the throttle body is bigger (as well as the MAF like you already said), I think you would have something between the 328 and the 330 hp range because of the differences if all you swapped out is the crank, rods, and pistons. All that could be done from the bottom of the engine, but getting the rings on the pistons up into the block via the bottom, would be a slight pain in the ass...just don't know if it would be any less a pain in the ass as taking off the cylinder head and the Dual Vanos. Just buy the rods, pistons, head and cams man!! You'ld make more power than a lightly modded 330 and with the low compression, you could run low grade gas without ping issues :) And bolt up the s/c or turbo later, and boost the piss out of it!! Anyways, take it easy :hi:
thanks for the info.
I am wondering if a straight up engine swap is easier
than to take everything apart. I am not looking to go FI
in the near future but just need the extra power and upgrade from my 2.5L. thanks

·
Banned
1,965 Posts
Wow! So glad I found this thread...

First, congrats on the family decision. You are a wise man, and your family is very lucky.

Second, sorry to hear of your upcoming departure from the E46 family. I hope you will continue to lend us your valuable advice and insight. I've always enjoyed reading your posts, which I found humorous, and full of wisdom.

Third, you have serious PM regarding many of the items on your list. Please contact me offline to talk.

Peace Out,

Daniel

·
Banned
7,997 Posts
BMWDon said:
M54 Rennsport Sport ported and polished head (incl. Stock
valve springs and valves)= $800 new rebuild

T3.46 KAAZ LSD w/ finned diff cover (2000 miles on it)= $1000 used
Im kinda interested in the Head but im really interested in the LSD. So the LSD comes with the housing, LSD, Z4 finned cover, right? Anything else I would need to put this in my 01 330Ci?

Any clunking with the diff?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is the complete diff, no clunking, just clutch plates grinding/chattering against each other in tight turns while the clutch is out, that's the way these things work. Again, this will only be up for sale if the interested party in my car decides they don't want the LSD. And I already have an "offer" by somebody for more than I asked for on this thread.....a bid war might be going on :)

vaio76109 said:
Im kinda interested in the Head but im really interested in the LSD. So the LSD comes with the housing, LSD, Z4 finned cover, right? Anything else I would need to put this in my 01 330Ci?

Any clunking with the diff?

·
Registered
164 Posts
OOHHH shizzy,
Those parts will make my 330ci s/c low compression correct? The pistons, and the rods, what can the rods hold, as in power over stock? Those parts, pistons, rods, and the rennsport head are for a 330ci correct? If so I think you might have a deal..

·
Banned
1,965 Posts
fastestm3 said:
OOHHH shizzy,
Those parts, pistons, rods, and the rennsport head are for a 330ci correct? If so I think you might have a deal..
...yeah, with me! :evil:

...stay tuned. Somethin' up my sleeve, but I'm not tellin' :shhh:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HAHAHA!! I wasn't going to mention who picked up the parts to anybody, but here's a list of what's still for sale and whats pending.

M54 3L Engine (STOCK bottom end: block, rods, pistons, crank) = $500 used 2 interested parties, of which 1 serious fanatic take precedence over all others :)

3.46 KAAZ LSD w/ finned diff cover (2000 miles on it) = $1000 used This thing has dibs around the corner if it doesn't go with the car, if the buyer backs out or if they don't want it, the current high offer is $1100...let the price wars continue

with end tanks it’s 28” long with 2.5” inlet/outlets) (1 available) = $175 each new sold one to a E36 owner with the AA s/c, probably buying the Ignition Solution coils as well if the fit his E36

Ignition Solutions Coils = $300 used probably sold to an E36 owner

of oil = $50 new

330 MAF (1 available) = $75 used

·
Registered
196 Posts
What engine can these cams be used on? Might be interested. Oh yeah, I would be interested in the tools too. PM me. Why did you not go for the 248 / 268?

thanks.

BMWDon said:
HAHAHA!! I wasn't going to mention who picked up the parts to anybody, but here's a list of what's still for sale and whats pending.

M54 3L Engine (STOCK bottom end: block, rods, pistons, crank) = $500 used 2 interested parties, of which 1 serious fanatic take precedence over all others :)

3.46 KAAZ LSD w/ finned diff cover (2000 miles on it) = $1000 used This thing has dibs around the corner if it doesn't go with the car, if the buyer backs out or if they don't want it, the current high offer is $1100...let the price wars continue

with end tanks it’s 28” long with 2.5” inlet/outlets) (1 available) = $175 each new sold one to a E36 owner with the AA s/c, probably buying the Ignition Solution coils as well if the fit his E36

Ignition Solutions Coils = $300 used probably sold to an E36 owner

of oil = $50 new

330 MAF (1 available) = $75 used

·
Registered
708 Posts
$1150 for the diff if nothin goes thru! :woot:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts