E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been doing a lot of reading regarding the RTAB and what people have been replacing them with and powerflex polyurethane seems to be the winner. So I called around a few shops and they recommended against polyurethane bushing due to the horrible road conditions around the SF Bay area and that I would likely break an arm or something else due to the stiffness.. So i just wanted to hear some feed back from people that have the polyurethane and daily drive it? Is the shop just pulling my leg? Also I've been getting ridiculous quotes for 400 + to replace the bushings and these are indy shops? Any comments suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated...

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I am going to replace mine this weekend for < $100 since there's someone local to rent the tool from.

Any competent shop should be able to replace these in an hour. The quote must include an alignment too.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Nope the quotes don't include alignment.... I actually heard about the oem+ poly limiters. Have you done that or were you going to do it?
Doing it this weekend. There's more bolts on the wheel than it takes to get the RTAB lowered. The only hard part seems to be if the RTAB gets stuck and bends the MIS tool.

I'm going to do rear shocks, RSM and springs at the same time since its only 1 more bolt and 3 nuts.

·
Vendor
10,577 Posts
Personally on a daily driver comfort is what I prefer so the stock style bushings are the ones I would use, I have them avaible HERE. But if it's a weekend warrior, pleasure car, track rat, auto x monster, etc then poly bushings do have some benefits.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nothing wrong, yet nothing right either. It's personal taste. I'm going with OEM rubber cause I want a smoother ride, while others like poly for firmer handling. I'm actually going with OEM + poly limiters which should provide the best compromise.
Except 90A poly rear bushings don't radically change driving feel or driving noise. Google poly hardness and notice that 90A is just a touch harder than stock rubber.

People who like stock OEM rubber are not worth arguing with though. You won't change your mind even if I was a BMW engineer telling you the same thing. Keep paying for it every 30k miles. It isn't my money. Hm. I should start a OEM bushing biz to make money off of guys like you.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Except 90A poly rear bushings don't radically change driving feel or driving noise. Google poly hardness and notice that 90A is just a touch harder than stock rubber.

People who like stock OEM rubber are not worth arguing with though. You won't change your mind even if I was a BMW engineer telling you the same thing. Keep paying for it every 30k miles. It isn't my money. Hm. I should start a OEM bushing biz to make money off of guys like you.
I had poly bushings installed in the control arms of my previous ride, changed the handling dramatically. If you cannot feel the difference, you're kidding yourself.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Currently on my 2nd set of Powerflex FCAB within 2 yrs ... Does provide more feedback but doesn't last longer than OEM and a bit more harsh.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have Meyle HD FCAB and Powerflex RTAB for 20k miles on my 330i now. And I have 225/40/18 Continental extreme-contact DW all around. I really like this combination, it has the go-kart feel. It is perfect for DD.

The Meyle HD FCAB feel very close to OEM but the Powerflex RTAB feel more aggressive than the OEM. GL

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Really my only real reason to go with a poly was that i thought they would last a lot longer but if thats the case i rather pay for cheaper oem....
Basically you're paying premium for more feedback and a tighter feel imo for the PU bushes but then again where i'm at the weather is hot and humid all year round ... So mileage may vary according to weather and the way you drive.

Latest pic of my Plex FCAB

·
Registered
655 Posts
I just switched from worn OEM RTABs to Powerflex a few months ago. I have to say the difference in ride comfort is very minimal, but I'm also not really picky about how babied my ass cheeks are. The difference I noticed was how much tighter and planted the back end of the car is. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade and considering they're only $75 a pair, it's not expensive at all (dealer here want's $50 each for OEM).

Here's an awesome DIY if you feel like so inclined.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=678004

If you don't have access to an e46 rtab tool, the stock bushings can be removed with some extra work (drill/cut out as much of the rubber as you can so there's less tension, then an air chisel or some good ole elbow grease can get the metal sleeve out. Powerflex bushings can be installed by hand, but the tool does make it easier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.