BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dilegently looking at the TireRack and trying to pick out the best tire for the money.

I have narrowed it down to a few I like:

Pirelli P Zero Nero
Bridgestone RE750
Yoko AVS ES100
Michelin Pilot PS2

Pilot is my preference, but I really don't want to spend that much right now. The Conti's aren't bad, but they didn't last as long as I would have liked. I got around 15K miles on them. I do have the sport package, which makes it impossible to rotate.

So, I am curious if anyone has experience with these tires. Pirellis look like the bang for the buck leader, and have a 400AA. Pilots will obviously handle better, but at what expense on mileage? I don't want to spend $200 more AND get less treadwear. But that's just me.

Thanks for any opinions. . .

B

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went from Contis to ES100, and then just put a set of PS2s on my 330. The ES100s were OK when new, but the noise level became unbearable with miles. Grip was OK for street, and they felt surprisingly good on the track, but they tramlined heavily, requiring a firm grip on the wheel on anything but a glassy smooth road.

PS2 transformed the car. More grip than you should ever be using on the street, almost no noise or tramlining. Expensive, yes, but I don't regret the switch. I did get a $50 gas card from Michelin. I guess I'd better use it quick while I can still fill the tank for $50.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
i'm in the exact same shoes as you. i haven't really looked into the pirellis so it isn't on my list. the other 3 you listed ARE on my list. my other choice is the dunlop sp sport9090. i like the price of the es100, but i'm hessitant to get them because of the tramlining and noise issue. as for the dunlop and bridgestone, i figure if i was to spend that much for those tires, i might as well fork out the additional $84 for the PS2s which should be superior in everyway. but then again, the $200+ difference between the PS2 and ES100 is pretty steep, and so i need someone to convince me that it is absolutely worth the extra money.

btw, anyone know how the dunlop sp sport9090s are compared with the bridgestone potenza 750s??

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through a couple of sets of Dunlops on my Maxima a couple of years ago. I can tell you that the Sport 8000's are the stickiest tires I have ever owned, but they are L-O-U-D too. I stepped back to the Sport A2 afterwards. Not as sticky, but almost as LOUD. Very noisy tires.

I then put the Potenza 750 on that car, and it was night and day for noise. Handling is not as good, but close.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't mean to hijack to much but I'm also looking to replace my OEM tires. I presently have the Michelin Energy MXV4 205-55/16" tires all around. Although the tires only have about 5000 miles on them I'm really lucky that my wife's 6 year old New Beetle needs new tires and her car has these exact same tires. I'm going to gladly put my tires on her car and get something better for myself. :woot:

Anyway, since I'm sticking to the 16" OEM rims I can only stick to 205-55/16" or go with 225-50/16". I had pretty much made my mind to go with the Michel PS2 based on all the feedback here but then I found out that they aren't made for 16". Anyone know how well the Michel Pilot Sports compare? Any other recommendations for my 16" rims?

·
Mmm, Pancakes.
1,070 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or the PS2s... they are worth the extra cost :)
GS-D3s if you are more concerned about treadlife and a civil ride... PS2s if you are more performance oriented and want the maxiumum amount of traction and response. You can't go wrong with either.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
from your list, stay away from those yokos...omg, so friggin loud and you'll go through them like butter. out of your list, the most better all around reviewed tire are the re750s. never had them but considered them when i was in the market for some tires. i eventually went with falken st115s since i wanted a very quiet ride and high comfortability.

·
Registered
478 Posts
InSuboRdiNaTioN said:
GS-D3s if you are more concerned about treadlife and a civil ride... PS2s if you are more performance oriented and want the maxiumum amount of traction and response. You can't go wrong with either.
Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I just checked TireRack and saw that the Eagle F1 GS-D3 are available in the tire size I need.

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
i really liked my contisportcontact2's, they were too expensive so when it was time to replace them i went w/ yoko avs es100's, the performance is acceptable but the noise is not :thumbdwn: needless to say i'll be trying another tire

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
For those of you with the 330i/ci. Are you replacing just the back tires are all 4 of them? As you know, the front and back are different size and the back wears out way faster than the front. The rear conti on my 330i are pretty much worn out to at 14k miles and I need to replace them, but then my front still look good...

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
InSuboRdiNaTioN said:

are there any tramlining issues with the goodyears?? by the look of the tread design, i would assume one would constantly be fighting the steering wheel when driving over imperfect roads.

·
Mmm, Pancakes.
1,070 Posts
EDawg said:
are there any tramlining issues with the goodyears?? by the look of the tread design, i would assume one would constantly be fighting the steering wheel when driving over imperfect roads.
No, surprisingly enough, they are very mild. I have not noticed any at all so far. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hantra said:
I have been dilegently looking at the TireRack and trying to pick out the best tire for the money.

I have narrowed it down to a few I like:

Pirelli P Zero Nero
Bridgestone RE750
Yoko AVS ES100
Michelin Pilot PS2

Pilot is my preference, but I really don't want to spend that much right now. The Conti's aren't bad, but they didn't last as long as I would have liked. I got around 15K miles on them. I do have the sport package, which makes it impossible to rotate.

So, I am curious if anyone has experience with these tires. Pirellis look like the bang for the buck leader, and have a 400AA. Pilots will obviously handle better, but at what expense on mileage? I don't want to spend $200 more AND get less treadwear. But that's just me.

Thanks for any opinions. . .

B
Have had the P Zero Neros on now for about 2K and love them. Quiet, excellent dry and wet grip, and have a surprisingly good ride. Will obviously not grip as well as the summer-only tires (ES100 and PS2), but will likely last a lot longer and are reasonably priced. IMHO, best High Performance all season available

·
Registered
573 Posts
mickey513 said:
For those of you with the 330i/ci. Are you replacing just the back tires are all 4 of them? As you know, the front and back are different size and the back wears out way faster than the front. The rear conti on my 330i are pretty much worn out to at 14k miles and I need to replace them, but then my front still look good...
I have the staggered M68s on my 330ci. I replaced my rears at around 22-23k miles (if I remember right) with Conti ContiSportContact 2s. Now with 47k miles both the front (still OEM Contis) and rear have about the same amount of tread left on both... I expect to replace them in about 5-7k miles.

Part of my decision to stay with Conti was that my fronts were still fine. Now that I have all four to replace soon I'm looking for other alternatives. I think based on my driving the rule of thumb will be for every one set of fronts I'll need two sets of rears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
no to ES100s

I'm in the same boat... I replaced all four tires on my 330Ci (sports package) about 12K miles ago with the Yoko ES100s. The rears are bald, but the fronts still have about 40-50% tread left. The Yokos are LOUD. DO NOT get them... Rush hour is bad enough to give me a headache--I don't need the added grind/rumble...

I'm considering the PS2s...any comparison between these and the Pirellis?

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,530 Posts
Three words:

GET...THE...PS2s!

I just drove w/them in the rain last night -- I couldn't make them slip, even on the wet crosswalk (whether accelerating from a dead-stop or making a sharp turn). I couldn't even tell that the road was wet (not by the handling, at least)! For those in the area, this was around 9:30 - 10PM last night.

I went from Turanza ER30's (high perf summers) to these and I thought the Turanzas were good... 'till these :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts