E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty sure i can get the OEM belt that's for the alt+water pump+power steering for about 40 bucks. but how difficult is changing that sucker? I saw a couple DIY and I was curious if anyone has done this either with OEM parts or underdrive pulleys. If so, please give me your opinion on doing this job or NOT doing this job by myself. Ive replaced two alternators and belts in other cars so I do have some skill and experience. I know ill have to be taking out the fan and lossening some other parts around the pulleys. let me know what you think. thanks,

-Z

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If it's a manual, it'll be very easy. Just pull out the fan, crank on the tensioners to free the belts, reverse to reinstall. If I recall correctly, you'll have to get the AC belt off first. Definitely an easy DIY (cause I was able to do it).

·
Registered
216 Posts
the fan is 1 screw and 1 clip and it slids out - dont forget to disconnect the 2 electrical sensors on the left side.
slide it up and out.
reach down all the way to the bottom on the left and release the spring tension on the ac belt with a torx 50 or 16mm wrench - both options available. do the same for the upper tensions on the serpentine - cant remember the hex size - its a hydralic tension.
replace the belts.
should take you about 30mins if you stare at it for the first 10mins.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's very easy if you can get the fan off, you also need the special fan tool some try without it and end up bending or breaking whatever tool they were using.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the confidence booster guys, ill look at the fan and Im sure ill be able to get it off. can you send a pic of the "fan tool" or let me know of a link so i can see what it looks like?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts