BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to time-sert my block. So just wandering how many people out there have done this successfully. If you have had any problems since, also how long its been going.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
I have to time-sert my block. So just wandering how many people out there have done this successfully. If you have had any problems since, also how long its been going.
You maybe should change your title to "time-sert block?" and you might get more responses.

So, you overheated and couldn't tighten down the cylinder head? I presume you know block is flat and straight?

I've watched this being done, but have also read opinions here that our block is susceptible to warping...and at the point that the head pulls threads out of block, it's been through a bit...use lots of lubricant and good luck! (I'm not a mechanic...I just read and watch a lot!)

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I have done alot of them :) You need the special jig to ensure a perfectly centered hole. If you try to drill by eye and get a hole off its all over.

Take your time and go slow with the right tools its not that bad takes 3-4 hours to do the whole block.

YOU MUST MAKE SURE THE BLOCK IS NOT WARPED.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
two threads??????

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
two threads??????
No, you need at least five or six if you want to hold torque! :lmao:

OP, it's okay for you to bump your thread up to the top...best to collect all your answers in one place!

BTW, JB is someone I'm sure you can trust. Not me; you can't trust me...but trust me when I say JB knows his stuff.

I'd say the jig, whatever it costs, would be a decent investment or rental purchase.

Interesting idea about just drilling for larger bolt!

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
The repair is long lasting if done right? I have clients with 60k on the repair. I have seen repaira fail quickly due to improper repairs. So it really depends how well you do it to begin with

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Back when I was building BBC engines for the flat bottom, I routinely Installed Heli-Coils into the block and installed the studs for the heads, and mains. These engines generated tons of cylinder pressure. Never had a failure from one either, and I've had the blower explode before. The studs would break, but the inserts were still doing their job. They are stronger than the cast metal, and you can get a more accurate torque number when you use them. I never used a time sert though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I went in search of "the special jig" an found the Baum BMW Head Drilling Fixture - $376.41 ....damn the head i found to replace mine is only 450. wander if there is another one out there for cheaper or if anyone has one that i could use or make one?.....anyone out there got a suggestion or just put it on the card to lol...

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
What makes you want to time sert the block?

Did your car overheat to the point where everything melted and the studs pull out or what?

We need more info to potentially save you LOT of money and headache

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Back when I was building BBC engines for the flat bottom, I routinely Installed Heli-Coils into the block and installed the studs for the heads, and mains. These engines generated tons of cylinder pressure. Never had a failure from one either, and I've had the blower explode before. The studs would break, but the inserts were still doing their job. They are stronger than the cast metal, and you can get a more accurate torque number when you use them. I never used a time sert though.
Iron block arent aluminum blocks.

M54s will never take a fraction of what a 454 can take

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Iron block arent aluminum blocks.

M54s will never take a fraction of what a 454 can take
Just in case you were asleep when it happened, all the Race Prepped ALUMINUM aftermarket BBC blocks come equipped with Heli-Coils in all threaded holes in the block. Don't confuse the issue. My point is that they do hold in the most demanding installations. What was yours?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
What makes you want to time sert the block?

Did your car overheat to the point where everything melted and the studs pull out or what?

We need more info to potentially save you LOT of money and headache
There is a TSB about this.... When the engine overheats the threads in the aluminum block no longer hold. You either replace the block or time sert it.

367 is not bad for the jig buy it and do it right

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Just in case you were asleep when it happened, all the Race Prepped ALUMINUM aftermarket BBC blocks come equipped with Heli-Coils in all threaded holes in the block. Don't confuse the issue. My point is that they do hold in the most demanding installations. What was yours?
Didnt know you used aftermarket aluminum blocks.

There is a TSB about this.... When the engine overheats the threads in the aluminum block no longer hold. You either replace the block or time sert it.

367 is not bad for the jig buy it and do it right
If his engine overheated to the point where the headbolts no longer hold torque, he MUST buy a new motor.

You can time sert the threads, sure. But the block has been SO damaged by now that its 100% warped and overall weak. There is no point to try and fix it by now.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Didnt know you used aftermarket aluminum blocks.

If his engine overheated to the point where the headbolts no longer hold torque, he MUST buy a new motor.

You can time sert the threads, sure. But the block has been SO damaged by now that its 100% warped and overall weak. There is no point to try and fix it by now.
I have fixed 20 motors like this. Some have over 60K on the repair.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So any way guess I'll be buying that...an in my experience with my own car, It had overheated. There is a 100% point in fixing it! So I can drive the mofukin car.!.!

Quick lesson from a smart ass:
Aluminum (cheap lightweight metal) becomes weak with heat, correct?.."yes". Every time you drive your car it?......"heats up"....correct!....so the smallest parts of aluminum(tiny little threads) holding the head bolt in become?......."weak"....yes! So over time they are already weakened. You heat those up one good time an no more holding..I doesn't take a catastrophic melt down for this to happen. My common sense tells me this. Anyone else?

And a BMW Indy shop in Dallas would be the ones that told me to time-sert if any threads didn't hold up. So I'ma take their advice an do it, guys I talked to told me to be worried about the head warping an cracking. But they just so happen to have a head from a 330i I'm going to get from them...

Any ways thanks "jbeurotech" for your info on this. Just wish there was someone that had it done on the car they are driving that could have told me some thing. Like if they are aggressive drivers an its held up for...xxxx amount of miles. But thanks I'll remember to ask you if I have any other questions.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
So any way guess I'll be buying that...an in my experience with my own car, It had overheated. There is a 100% point in fixing it! So I can drive the mofukin car.!.!

Quick lesson from a smart ass:
Aluminum (cheap lightweight metal) becomes weak with heat, correct?.."yes". Every time you drive your car it?......"heats up"....correct!....so the smallest parts of aluminum(tiny little threads) holding the head bolt in become?......."weak"....yes! So over time they are already weakened. You heat those up one good time an no more holding..I doesn't take a catastrophic melt down for this to happen. My common sense tells me this. Anyone else?

And a BMW Indy shop in Dallas would be the ones that told me to time-sert if any threads didn't hold up. So I'ma take their advice an do it, guys I talked to told me to be worried about the head warping an cracking. But they just so happen to have a head from a 330i I'm going to get from them...

Any ways thanks "jbeurotech" for your info on this. Just wish there was someone that had it done on the car they are driving that could have told me some thing. Like if they are aggressive drivers an its held up for...xxxx amount of miles. But thanks I'll remember to ask you if I have any other questions.
we offer a 2 year 24k warrenty on the repair. If I was at all worried I would not be offering a warranty on the work. I timerserted my 850 and drive it hard no issues

1 - 16 of 16 Posts