BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 325ci...2001...47k ..i was wondering if i should gie it a tune up and change the tranny oil and the radiator flush and what else do i need to change at this point???

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Common fluids that need to be replaced that aren't on the BMW Inspection list are:

Power Steering Fluid
Tranny Fluid
Differential Fluid
Coolant

I am not a 100% sure if the fuel filter and spark plugs are replaced routinely either. If any of these things haven't been done yet, then now is a good time.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'd say 47k is a little on the early side, but it is a 2001.

If they haven't ever been done, the most important are trans fluid and coolant flushes. If you're following the inspection schedule, I would probably do most of the things called out in the inspection list and mabye the spark plugs.

If you're just winging it, I'd change the trans, coolant, diff oil, spark plugs, valve cover gasket (since you have to pull all the coils off anyway), and call it a day.

At this point, everything is preventative.

·
Banned
239 Posts
Just curious- why is it so important to change the tranny fluid and coolant , including brake fluid so soon ( every two years or so ) This is what the dealer recommends. But is it really needed every two years ? what are your thoughts. If this is the case, let me know what negative experiences some of you have had from NOT changing these fluids. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Just curious- why is it so important to change the tranny fluid and coolant , including brake fluid so soon ( every two years or so ) This is what the dealer recommends. But is it really needed every two years ? what are your thoughts. If this is the case, let me know what negative experiences some of you have had from NOT changing these fluids. Thanks for the input.
I have heard coolant every 4 years, brake fluid every 2 years from my dealer. I have never even heard of a dealer recomending a tranny fluid change (it's "lifetime"). I do mine more often than that though, as a guidline always at least FOLLOW dealer reccomendations. Tranny fluid should probably be done maybe 50K-60K (Mine was black at 90K). Not changing the coolant, brake fluid, and tranny will eventually destroy the components that ened these fluids (tranny is widely documented, with auto at least). Tranny and Coolant get dirty and the brake fluid accumulates moisture or air (forgot which, causes spongy pedal).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts