E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have done some research and I guess what I’m looking for is Axxis Deluxe Plus Brake Pads. My front brakes are more or less metal on metal action. Need to be replaced ASAP. My rear brakes seem to be in good order.

My options/question….

1. Replace the front rotors & brake pads and only the back pads…
not back rotors.

2. Replace rotors and brake pads all around.

3. Replace brake pads all around and no rotors.

4. Find out if the rotors can be machined and change pads.

Also what rotors should I get if I do replace... I don’t want too spend much, i never track my car mostly street driving but I drive a little aggressive. I do realize changing everything is the best option but then again i dont want to spend too much.

TIA!!

-Sardar :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i'd go with replacing all rotors and all pads. labor-wise, that is the best thing to do instead of getting your front replaced now and your rears later. plus all new brakes will be noticable :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not bad to do yourself. There are DIY instructions with picture on MadRussian and other places. I suggest stepping up to Hawk Ceramic pads. I use Brembo OEM replacement rotors.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Trust Me replace the rotors when you do the brake Job. i decided to just replace the pads. If your rotors need replacing don't wait just do it all at once. it gets old after a while taking the wheels off putting them back on. Also if you want to paint your calipers do it then also as this will be easier to do since you are changing everything anyways. Don't forget to get extra brake fluid when you do this if you decide to take the whole caliper off. It is not a bad idea to purchase steel brake lines while you are down there. I bought mine from Bavarian off there clearance section but four of the long ones I bought two short ones and two long ones and found out the hard way.

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
buy four of those if you decide to change the cables.
Well that is my 2 cents hope it helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just recently did a brake job on my 330Xi. I went with StopTech slotted rotors and Axxis pads. Easy enough DIY and the difference over stock is very noticeable. $585 total direct through StopTech all four corners.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Espeedy said:
I just recently did a brake job on my 330Xi. I went with StopTech slotted rotors and Axxis pads. Easy enough DIY and the difference over stock is very noticeable. $585 total direct through StopTech all four corners.
Yeah I went that same route just didn't go directly through StopTech, just curious how long it took you to get everything? For me it took over a month.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just replaced my oem brakes with axxis brake pads. It was my first time ever doing this, and it wasnt hard at all (I just printed the diy on here)

If the fronts are metal to metal as you say, you will def need new rotors(or take it to the shop so they can fix them). If they are not; I would just replace the front and the rear pads.

I bought zimmerman cross drilled rotors, but havent installled them yet

Do it yourself and save $$$$$$

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Turner motor sports sells a package for $260 that has everything you need to replace all 4.

Rotors, Axxis Metal master pads, brake fluid, 2 sensors, rotor retaining screws

Thats what I did. Axxis metal masters stop pretty good and has less dust than OEM. I had Hawk HPS pads before and I think they have less dust than Metalmasters.

Any idea how Axxis deluxe compares to Metalmasters as far as dust?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went through this a year ago and more recently again last weekend.

Last year I replaced the pads with Axxis deluxe. While it solved the brake dust problem, it didn't do much to improve pedal feel or help with slowing down the rotor wear. It got to the point that the rotors were too thin and began to really affect braking performance.

A month ago I picked up a set of Brembos (calipers and pads) from the classifieds (thanks Tony!) This is a junior BBK and was just the solution I needed to solve my braking woes.

Combined with new control arms and bigger brakes, the car is driving a heck of alot better, not to mention stopping way more confidently.

As others suggested, change rotors and pads. I'm not sold on the performance of the Axxis deluxe pads, but they clearly were the choice if a low dust pad is what you're looking for.

-travis

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Stoptech BBK ftw...

just had to be that *******...

seriously, the stage 2 brake kit is great

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
are ceramic brakes worth it? There are two manufactures... Akebono and Bosch. Apx $80 for the front pair. Opinions :dunno:

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you know if you need new rotors?

I too need new brakes and was wondering how you can tell if you need new rotors? Is there a minimun thickness to measure? My current brakes were replaced by BMW and they replaced the rotors (BMW policy) but I had just planned to replace the pads.

·
Core Fanatic
1,145 Posts
Rocket_Man said:
I too need new brakes and was wondering how you can tell if you need new rotors? Is there a minimun thickness to measure? My current brakes were replaced by BMW and they replaced the rotors (BMW policy) but I had just planned to replace the pads.
Measure the rotor thickness with a C-clamp micrometer (measure at roughly the midplane of the pad area). The front rotor minimum thickness in 20.4 mm. Replace the rotor if you are below or near it. I can't seem to find the rear minimum, it may be stamped on the rotor itself.

Some advise for eveyone ------ rotors are cheap enough to ignore turning them. I highly do not recommend putting new pads on old rotors, as the new pads do not mate well with the old, semi-glazed rotor surface (it results in a lot of squeal). Since I don't like turning BMW rotors (and the price of turning is not much less than a new rotor), I say replace pads and rotors together. Really, $250 from Turner Motorsporst is a good deal for the most important function of your car (which is braking). Only my $0.02. Others will disagree.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts