BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright tim, maybe you were right all along. i finished everything off today and it sounds horrible. i don't know how my mbq's sounded so good in the old system, but they sure don't sound right now. There's too much treble, the system is clearly out of balance, and the box that i'm using is complete crap. SO, i'm off to car toys tomorrow, to see if they can re-do what i did..or, actually, i guess i can go to mike at tweeter first and see if he will help.

what should i expect for a labor quote for that? They should know what they're looking at, right? So, it couldn't be that bad. I'm thinking that if they re-tool the system and i fall into the trap of buying a couple sets of speakers for $600-$700, i could get out of there for $1000 and call it a day. Sound right?

Better question is, tim, you sure you don't want to make some $$...?

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
hahahaaha cartoys had some DSD216 for around $280-$350, i think. i remember ppl would come in after they attempted installing their stuff and they went us to fix it. common for them... the joke was, when i go to the back and tell mike he interupt me and say "ALL THE WIRES ARE ALREADY, HUH" you can try mike, i know hes really good with european cars. cartoys shouldnt have any trouble either.... check out www.cartoys.com form replacement speakers that way you know what to expect and look for.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha! yeah, i figure i'll go in there and they'll nearly laugh me out of the place. "hi, i'm an idiot - thought i could do this on my own and now it sounds like sh$t."

i'll try mike first and then go to car toys from there. any ideas if he's working tommorow? at least i'd have to do less explaining to him..

i'm going to try to meet tomorrow, but i have to get out of plans to do it..would like to grab a bite at bw3s and see your system..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by the way, you're a huge fan of the qsd216's..how would 4 of those sound? i figure those + a custom box for my 12 will be plenty... other speaker ideas? seems like 6 1/2's would fit in the doors..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn, those psd's look amazing.. psd's in the front and dsd's in the back would make for serious sound.. that settles it, i'm going to talk to mike tomorrow. he can re-wire the whole thing and make me a custom box for my 12"...

for you, at what point can you hear the diff b/w the dsd and psd? i'm curious about the extra $200..

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
PSD sound a little sharper and a lot louder than DSD. go to cartoys and compare the too, they are in the same room. Tweeter doesnt sell MB quart. Im talking to mike right now, so if you see him he'll kinda now whats up. he said their custom guy(guy you'd want to to build your box) is gonna be out of town till thursday. mike can build a box, but he's a crybaby about it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's funny - crybaby. i don't think i'm picky enough to care who makes the box. as always, the sooner the better.. if he doesn't want to make it, maybe he could do the hard part first, rewire it.

thanks alot for mentioning it to him, i appreciate it. he'll know to expect a mess of wires, something he'll have to tear apart to figure anything out..i'll go tomorrow and ask for him (gonzales, right?)

meanwhile, i'll go to cartoys and compare. since the rear is further away from me and i don't care much about my passengers, the psd's-dsd's sound like a hell of a setup. it'll mean mike has to re-wire everything, but i guess he's going to do that anyway..

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
he can use the stock wires that are already ran. we did that in this car. mike ramirez. i was gonna do DSD216 cause my bass was gonna over power the rear anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's your best sig pic yet..

yeah, i agree on the dsd's - i'll listen to both tomorrow and see how they sound at high volumes. the driving amp is 50x4, so it'll never sound the same as it sounds instore...good selling point..

oh, btw, i bypassed the line driver today and couldn't really tell a difference. maybe with the new speakers and mike's re-tool, he'll be able to utilize it..? if not, i guess i could sell it..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey, you think it would be better to use BOTH my v12's to power my frotn 4? that way, i could bridge both to 100wxchannel, using one for the fronts and the other for the backs..

??

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
which amps do you have again? bring a cd with music that you like with you. they will let you play it.... otherwise youll be listening to crap. you can always return line driver.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
return the line driver - true. is it not strange that it makes no difference? i guess the output of the hu is ok afterall.

always bring along DM - they are the perfect test for speakers. i'll do that tomorrow and stand there until i can hear no more. then i'll go to mike and see what he can do for me. does tweeter carry ads? you have any opinion on them compared to mbq..?

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
na tweeter doesnt carry ads. they have boston speakers. from what ive HEARD and SEEN about ads, they cost a lot, but they sound great. I like JL amps. i was gonna order a 300/4 to push the PSD and DSD and a 500/1 to push a 12W6v2. if you get that set up you'll have my "at one time dream system."

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yeah, the amps - i have 2 alpine v12 mrv f401's. in the current setup, i'm using only 1, which powers the front 4 50w/ch. i could use both amps, i guess, and bridge each at 50w/ch. then i'd have those 2 powering the front 4 and my back amp powering the sub..

??

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that's serious shi$t. a 300/4 for the front and a 500/1 for the sub? wow. if i hadn't lost all my damn $$ in the market, icould do that, but...i can't! that's why i've been trying to do everything with what i've got...no more $$ to spend! this is why the question about using 2 amps for the front channels is interesting...could be running 100w/channel.. i think...

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
i found this one guy that ran that amp with infinity kappa speakers. 40 w rms to each channel, or 50 x 2 at 2 ohm, or 100x2 at 4 ohm. could prolly do each amp at 100x2 for the front and rears and the mb quarts could handle that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
think so? be nice if that plan worked. i could use the 3 amps and buy some psd's and dsd's and be SET! oh, of course, i prob have to get a custom box too. i guess mike will tell me what he thinks is the best plan..

if i'm not able to make it tomorrow to the willowbrook meeting, you up for meeting later at that tweeter to talk it up with mike? i'm going anyway, would be bett 4 me if u there..you could laugh at my amateur attempts...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts