BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts here about S54 swaps, with some alleging that it's a "weekend job" that takes 20 hours. In people's experience, how long do these jobs typically take, and what are the costs involved?

Based on my incomplete understanding, one basically needs to yank the engine and entire drive train, replace it, redo the cluster, and reprogram the DME. I would think this takes longer than a weekend and somewhere between $5-10k.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Granted, he sounds like he has a tight schedule but a m54-m54 swap is a weekend job. Its a better alternative than pulling AND rebuilding.
I have a feeling you're quoting me in another thread on here about rebuilding a ZHP engine. If you read it I said m54 to m54. Meaning pulling old M54 and replacing with identical m54.

But maybe you're not.

Either way, not a thread worthy question when the swap is a popular topic on here

·
/// Limitless
3,506 Posts
Read this thread. It should give you a pretty good idea of what's involved.

I'd say if you can pick the motor/tranny up for 4,500 you'd probably be into the total job for around 6k. I've seen them online for that from time to time, even a little lower at times.

If you spend a great deal of time researching the swap you'll have fewer surprises. I'd say a weekend would be pushing it without someone who has been through it before by your side. Me, personally, I'd shoot for two days with help and plan on four. You never know what you'll have to get from the dealer at the last minute because you forgot something.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've read a few posts here about S54 swaps, with some alleging that it's a "weekend job" .
True, I did mine in two days, all the parts fit, its not that you have to manufacture something complicated.

M54b30 makes the same power as S54 up to 5000 rpm, so unless you are going to rev the crap out of that S54 all the time, then I don't see a benefit. 333hp in a 3500 pound boat is not impressive. Mine is fun to drive if I abuse it, when I just drive it normally then it feels same as M54

·
:D
7,842 Posts
True, I did mine in two days, all the parts fit, its not that you have to manufacture something complicated.

M54b30 makes the same power as S54 up to 5000 rpm, so unless you are going to rev the crap out of that S54 all the time, then I don't see a benefit. 333hp in a 3500 pound boat is not impressive. Mine is fun to drive if I abuse it, when I just drive it normally then it feels same as M54
The m3 is making around 240 at 5k. That's peak power for the 330. That's not really comparable. The m3 is making 270-300 at 6800 rpm where the 330 is finally making 240. Then the m3 continues on to 8k rpm.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The m3 is making around 240 at 5k. That's peak power for the 330. That's not really comparable. The m3 is making 270-300 at 6800 rpm where the 330 is finally making 240. Then the m3 continues on to 8k rpm.
not true. 330i peaks in HP at 5900rpm but it has a very strong torq curve, when averaged out, it makes similar power to S54 up to 5k. I stand by my statement. In general sense it does feel the same and that is the point of my statement, please don't make this thread into something that its not. I have both cars so don't talk about something that you know nothing about.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
- Problematic engine w/expensive maintenance
- Expensive swap if you don't have the know-how
- Still no LSD, and your subframe is hella prone to ripping out

Hardly impressive if comparing to modern engine power outputs, and if you crash it, that's all folks!
The cheap insurance part of it is really nice, although technically illegal.

·
:D
7,842 Posts
- Problematic engine w/expensive maintenance
- Expensive swap if you don't have the know-how
- Still no LSD, and your subframe is hella prone to ripping out

Hardly impressive if comparing to modern engine power outputs, and if you crash it, that's all folks!
The cheap insurance part of it is really nice, although technically illegal.
Why no LSD? Who in their right mind wouldn't swap the rear end as well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts