E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing my lower control arms I took my car to a shop to have my alignment done. I have a lifetime alignment at that shop and they have done it numerous times. The last being about two months, maybe 3000 miles, ago. Today they claim that the tie-rods are seized and I need new ones. They said they were seized last time and they had to heat them to get them off, but they do not want to do that again. Something about the grease in the ball joints.

Is this BS? I think that the shop is trying to screw me. If the tie rods were seized two months ago why did they not apply anti-seize when they aligned it? Also, both tie rods are under two years old and this very shop replaced the passenger side (I did the drivers).

I am debating calling them to argue for a discount/parts only job, telling them to heat the things loose, or just sucking it up and getting the vehicle unaligned and replacing the tie rods myself. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Firestone = garbage.

I bought one of those lifetime alignment years ago and find the majority of the Firestone technicians DID NOT know how to properly align a e46.

·
Registered
0 Posts
+1 took my car to NTB and they totally messed up the alignment, and giving me all sorts of excuses when I brought it back in... you are better off taking it to an indie that knows how to align BMW's and the like.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just for my own education, what makes the E46 so unique and "special" when it comes to alignments vs. other cars?

·
Registered
362 Posts
All BMW's have to be weighted before aligning. It involves a full tank of gas and a set of amount of weights placed at different points inside the car.

You don't just throw a BMW on a rack and align it.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
All BMW's have to be weighted before aligning. It involves a full tank of gas and a set of amount of weights placed at different points inside the car.

You don't just throw a BMW on a rack and align it.
Modern alignment systems apparently can account for weight.

·
Registered
2006 330ci zhp
2,047 Posts
OP, here's the thing. You don't remove tie rods to do an alignment. You do have to loosen the lock nuts to adjust them. Maybe that is what they claim is seized? But that's not where the ball joints are located.

So this to me sounds like BS to me. You should take it somewhere else to get another opinion.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If you're in there every 2 months...maybe they want to get rid of you. Just a thought...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts