BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fanatics, kburger here. 690,000 miles on the 2000 323ci. check out my thread on that one. So driver side steering rack tie rod is shot, but only the inner is shot, outer with the little ball joint assembly looks great. Been wrenchin long time i can get the center nut loose ok. should i just replace the inner? i got the whole assy form mahle at ecs tuning60 bucks. opinions?
thanks,
kburger

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,129 Posts
The inner tie rods are not sold separately (outers are), so not sure you even have a choice! Inners don***8217;t really go bad unless they get pitted badly when a boot fails and is not repaired. Others have the ball joint that weaken over time.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
excellent advice all thanks as always. Will see if my local shop has boots. I think right side is done already. so will do entire left side and boot. Today is last warm day for a week here in southeast pa better get cracking!!! no garage but i do have garage canopy so at least i stay dry. cold, but dry.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
FYI the new style boots are 2-piece, with a rubber collar piece that fits around the tie rod shaft and a separate bellows, the idea being that if needed, you could replace the boots without separating the tie rod halves.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
hey fanatics, kburger here. 690,000 miles on the 2000 323ci. check out my thread on that one. So driver side steering rack tie rod is shot, but only the inner is shot, outer with the little ball joint assembly looks great. Been wrenchin long time i can get the center nut loose ok. should i just replace the inner? i got the whole assy form mahle at ecs tuning60 bucks. opinions?
thanks,
kburger
The whole tie rod. Always.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,438 Posts
690K miles on an E46?

You are the champ!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cracking Noise when accelerating

Hello Guys.. Anyone who experienced hearing cracking/rattling noise when accelerating from low speed. The location seems to be in the middle of the car. Anyway, my ride is e46 320i M-Sports (2001) with 66Kmiles.
Likewise, after staring the engine, I can hear a roaring sound (rough) that will last for 10minutes right after the engine gets hot..

·
Registered
26,149 Posts
Hello Guys.. Anyone who experienced hearing cracking/rattling noise when accelerating from low speed. The location seems to be in the middle of the car. Anyway, my ride is e46 320i M-Sports (2001) with 66Kmiles.
Likewise, after staring the engine, I can hear a roaring sound (rough) that will last for 10minutes right after the engine gets hot..
You should start your own thread.

The roaring could be your fan coming on. Are you warming up the car while idling? If so, it has to come on to cool your engine.

If it's roaring while you're driving, then it sounds like you need to do some cooling system work (if I'm right and it's the fan you're hearing).

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I always replace the part that's bad, and leave the rest.

BUT

I do my own work, and enjoy it. Including alignment.
So if the outer dies in another 25k,
it's no biggie to do that next.

I find that the BMW outer tie rod ends last approximately forever.
The inners maybe 150k.

t
pays a LOT of attention to which brands he buys these days...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always replace the part that's bad, and leave the rest.

BUT

I do my own work, and enjoy it. Including alignment.
So if the outer dies in another 25k,
it's no biggie to do that next.

I find that the BMW outer tie rod ends last approximately forever.
The inners maybe 150k.

t
pays a LOT of attention to which brands he buys these days...
thanks. I bought meyle i love all their suspension parts especially meyle HD. and i sub out with the M3 part when i can. the ride is stiffer but i get more miles out of the parts.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just to follow up here i replaced entire tie rod assembly. Not too bad i been wrenchin 30 years so it should be :) . for sure get alignment right away my front tires were facing opposite ways, not by alot, no vibrations while driving but it was still bad. goin around corners at plus 25mph felt like i was "losing it" pretty bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts