·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
----------------------------------------
Car Info: 99' 323i 5spd @ 141K miles.
Problem: Ticking / Clicking noise from rear
----------------------------------------

The other day I was driving back from traveling to Tracy, CA (about 99 miles away) and I noticed a ticking / clicking noise from the rear right wheel area.

The clicking goes away at the slightest touch to the gas pedal. It is only occurs while coasting (any gear). The frequency of the clicking / ticking noise is also directly related to the speed of the car (as opposed to the RPM's of the engine).

After much research, it seems that people have reported the same noise from everything from loose nuts on the wheel, U joint, and or differential. Has anyone had this and how much trouble am I in to keep driving? Other then the awful noise (clicking / ticking type sound) the performance and overall operation of the car doesn't seem to be bothered.

Any suggestions or test(s) I can perform to narrow down the issue would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the same issue, rear left area. I thought it was the center caps cause thoes are loose too, but if you found out tell me

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same issue, rear left area. I thought it was the center caps cause thoes are loose too, but if you found out tell me

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
I will certainly PM you if we have any findings. You should subscribe to this thread.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I may have had something similar, although I suspected it came from my front...hard to isolate while driving though. Always noticed it most when coasting slow with my windows down and a wall next to me.

I don't notice it anymore and didn't do anything directly to correct it could have been something stuck in the rotors or somewhere else in the wheels or brake assembly. At the time I asked around a bit about the 'ping ping ping' and a few people said its normal.

If you swap winter wheels on, see if its gone afterwards? Not much help I know...just offering that it may not be as bad as you think.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
Either of you clicking guys do anything recently to car...anything? Get tires, get new brakes, hit massive pothole...etc.?

Clicking makes me think wheel bearing...but we've also had dustshield rubbing rotors...lugs too long and hitting.

Lower odds, we've had a nail 'inside' of a tire bouncing around...nails in tires, obviously would click also.

In center of car, center support bracket has a bearing...and that might click at 'close' to the speed of rotation of wheel (though not really...it'd be quicker most of the time...but would be rotational.

You can visually inspect guibo...but in any case, taking to a mechanic is certainly a good idea just on principle periodically to make sure things are okay, but there is a lot of 'wrong' stuff most would be able to find just by looking and thinking...and using good led flashlight (2 AA ftw!)

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I have been on bed rest since last thursday because my back went out. I finally drove my car again today for the first time since my post. The noise seemed to go away half of the time and then back a little while later....

Anyway, I checked my tires, no nails or anything. I have had a bad wheel bearing before and had it replaced.

I know my sub frame is failing so I think that may be the culprit but I know that is a clunk and this is just s ticking. Anyone else with suggestions? :) I'd really like to get to the bottom of this and do a nice write up for others!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey man im totally having the same issue.

if there is smething that you fxd to make this stopplease let me know.im guessing is something to do with heat shieldand or the drive line what do you think ,

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
From the description, sounds very much like axle shaft. When load applied, slop in joint taken up and no sound. When coasting, slop not taken up in joint hence sound. Also should come & go when turning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts