BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a messed up weekend. First I got a ticket for tinted windows and then blew my money I was saving up for more mods in Vegas.

Anyway, I was just wondering, the CHP officer says it's a fine now. It's no longer a fix-it ticket. Does anyone know how much the fine will be? I plan to get it retinted, but I guess I will go with a lighter shade.

Thanks in advance for you help.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,579 Posts
Ummmm...did he not write it on the paper slip? Did you even get a slip?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
That sucks :thumbdwn:

But are you 100% sure its not a fix it ticket? Did you buy your car brand new or pre owned? If you bought it pre-owned,fight the ticket... say you bought the car like that with the tint, and u had no idea it was illegal... im sure you will get a break, then i guess u can re-tint a lighter shade

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah..i got the yellow copy. According to the officer, he said that California changed the law awhile back and it's a fine now. Don't know how much though. About four years ago, I got one for my Integra and it was a fix it ticket. However, I was shocked when he said it's a fine. Oh well, I will just wait and see then.

BTW, I got my car brand new. So the idea won't work, but thanks for the thought....

·
Registered
95 Posts
yep... got one of those last year, along with no front plate. the fine was $77, and then it cost me $80 to strip and retint at shop i go to.... ended up being a $150 ticket for just tinted windows and no front plate... :mad:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hbmike....

wow, that's expensive to have it restrip and tinted back....my shop will only charge me $40.00. Did you go with a lighter shade the second time around. I think I will because currently it has the tint one step below limo tint...and it is kind of dark, but on a black car it looks so.....:pimpin: Now my question is should I have a different shade in the front or should I retint the entire car to a lower shade...any suggestions...

Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You guys in cali are still better off, here in nyc u get a fine for each window tinted (except the rear) above the legal limit, which is like 80%, i learned it the hard way, then to add insult to injury , when i went to court to fight it, the damned highway patrol cop went outside and saw that the tints were still on the car and immediately informed the judge as soon as we were in session. Ended up costing like 225$. Still got the tints though.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Sh*t, I didn't know it was a fine now...I always thought it was still a fix-it ticket...good luck. :dunno:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Daaaaaaaaamnnnn!!! Sounds like we've got a nominee for 'biggest dickhead cop
of the year' on our hands ...

will917 said:
You guys in cali are still better off, here in nyc u get a fine for each window tinted (except the rear) above the legal limit, which is like 80%, i learned it the hard way, then to add insult to injury , when i went to court to fight it, the damned highway patrol cop went outside and saw that the tints were still on the car and immediately informed the judge as soon as we were in session. Ended up costing like 225$. Still got the tints though.

·
Nymphomaniac
352 Posts
My friend recently got ticket for tinted windows and it did say that she can fix it. I'm not sure if she will get a fine or not.

This was in San Jose, Ca

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
to add to the ****ty list of tickets.

1) ticket for parking meter expiring
2)ticketing me for parketing meter expiring was not enough, the cop had to ticket me for no front license plate.

i'm still bitter about it

·
Registered
95 Posts
i retinted to the same shade, since it really doesn't appear that dark... i've got medium all around and dark on the rear.... i was told by the chp that gave me the ticket was that he only gave me the ticket because i had 2 violations- no front plate and the tinted windows... if i only had one or the other, he said he wouldn't have pulled me over....

i have since put my front plate on, but am still taking my chances with the tint.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hbmike...i have a front license plate. I guess the CHP was being an ahole.... oh well after I get signed off, I will get it retinted.

·
Registered
444 Posts
nullptr said:
Daaaaaaaaamnnnn!!! Sounds like we've got a nominee for 'biggest dickhead cop
of the year' on our hands ...

Why? You broke the law and then ignored it when told to fix it. I am sure they will catch him again and give him a bigger ticket :) You people need to stop complaining about getting tickets for breaking the law. If you are breking the law you should know that you are and deal if you get caught.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts