BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've got a 2000 323ci (138,000 miles) with a non-responsive gas pedal due to a disconnected bowden cable

By non-responsive I mean the following; with the car on and in any gear, depressing the gas pedal produces no change in engine speed. Having an automatic transmission, the car will move forward and reverse when in gear after releasing the brakes, but the gas pedal has no effect. The idle speed is a normal 700 - 800 RPM approximately and there are no warning lights indicating an obvious problem.

The pedal initially became non-responsive while driving for about 140 miles on the highway; while exiting into a rest stop all throttle response was lost while the car costed to a stop. The car was towed to a local dealership on 7/23/2016.

Dealership reconnected the cable three days later, and I picked the car up that following Saturday. I drove it around town for about 10 miles and parked. Drove it another 10 miles around town a few hours later, and discovered that the gas pedal was not responsive again. The dealer towed it back to the shop today to investigate.

The service manager told me that I was going to need a bowden cable, and a new throttle body... about $1,400 worth of work. So I'm looking for some educated opinions out there.

I've read the excellent post by "kkasson" and gained some valuable insight, but recognize that every situation has it's quirks. I agree that the bowden cable needs to be replaced (in fact I had expected them to replace it initially), however I am very surprised that the throttle would need replacement.

As "kkasson" indicated, there is a plastic component on the throttle's cam which secures the cable in place. In the post, there was damage to that plastic component causing the cable to disconnect. The solution was to mend the plastic piece, which sounds like the most sensible solution. I would assume the dealership would not / doesn't want to perform the repair described in the cited post, hence the option of purchasing a new throttle body. My question is how reliable is the dealer's assessment for a new throttle? In my opinion, I feel like this is overkill.

Thank you._a_

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got word back from the dealer. They replaced the throttle and the cable as both had wear.

I told him to save the parts so I could see the damage for myself. Will share pics as soon as I get the car this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Total cost after discounting was close to $1,200. I'll post the breakdown of parts and labor when I get the invoice this weekend.

From what I've read, the pieces that wear aren't sold by themselves. At least not OEM parts from BMW. I can't comment on any aftermarket parts because I didn't research any, as the dealership wouldn't install them unless they were BMW made.

How could you tell that the cable was at it's limit? Have you done work on it before, and if so, could you describe what's involved?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
How could you tell that the cable was at it's limit? Have you done work on it before, and if so, could you describe what's involved?

Above the TB you will find a clip that holds the cable and adjustment for slack in the cable. As it stretches, further adjustments is needed, and I'm at the very end of this adjustment. The cable alone is inexpensive, and would hate to find myself stranded.

It's not incredibly difficult to swap the parts, though the TB is a known failure point with higher miles. If unserviceable, maybe not a bad idea it was simply replaced. Double as PM and required repair, although a costly one.

Sorry for your troubles, $1,200 repair is a heavy bite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the breakdown of parts and labor, net of $273 discount:
4 hours @ 125.00 per hour = $500
Throttle housing assembly (#135054) = $813
Accelerator bowden cable (# 35999940) = $51

·
Registered
461 Posts
and that's why e46's are so cheap, people don't like the repair bills.

I have a later e46 with DBW and a stick, so no cables. but it would not seem weird to think after 16 years those plastic throttle parts would wear out on your 323.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the original parts back. Will post pics tomorrow.

Would be curious if there is a market for the throttle housing assembly. I'm sure someone out there would buy mine and recondition it for resale.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and that's why e46's are so cheap, people don't like the repair bills.

I have a later e46 with DBW and a stick, so no cables. but it would not seem weird to think after 16 years those plastic throttle parts would wear out on your 323.

Yea I hear you that after 16 years something would wear out.

It's a plastic piece that held the cable on to the assembly. What surprised me was that something so important would be made out of plastic.

The notch where the cable linked in to the cam was clearly worn. Just the design baffles me. The only thing really keeping that cable attached was a small plastic ridge and tension from the cable itself.

Are other manufacturers using this design for a throttle body assembly?

·
Registered
461 Posts
BMW uses plastic in a lot of places that doesn't seem to make sense, but that's another topic...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts